Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Planning

We went to a play.

My grandson was in the play Of Men and Mice so my husband and I went to proudly watch him. This is the same grandson who I wrote about earlier who was inducted into the honor roll society. The production was very well done by the drama class at our local high school and it was easy to get caught up in the story line.(I'd tell you the story but I do not want to ruin it for you in case you get the notion to read the book).:-)

The play caused my mind to wander to my friend Anne's blog.

As John Steinbeck's story unfolded I was reminded of the planning that goes into everything God does.   In this story two young men travel together and care for each other in a brotherly fashion. They work and "plan" for a brighter future, but suddenly just as their dreams are within reach something goes awry; terribly awry.

One young man, Lenny,  was challenged. The actors recited their lines and after less than five minutes it became quite apparent that one man, George took responsibility for the other.  Lenny looked up to him and would have been completely lost without him. George had big plans for the two of them and every time when things seemed hopeless he would again tell Lenny what the "plan" was.

Unfortunately Lenny kept straying from the path.

Maybe he could not help it. He certainly seemed to be trying his best. George tried  to keep him on task. The plan was made. The love and desire was there, but something was missing. It dawned on me; it is only when God is the master of our plans that we can bank on them. When we try to follow a plan without Him, it is doomed to fail.

When a friend and co-worker of mine showed me an excerpt of a post she was getting reading to post on her blog BibleFactsPlus  it all became even clearer to me. She wrote about God's plans for Solomon. He shared His plans for Solomon through His word (the Bible) down to even the details of what He would name him. God does not just let people go about populating the earth. He actually plans our lives and has designated a purpose for each of us.

I don't want to be like Lenny. George loved Lenny dearly and put his own wants and needs aside time after time to take care of him, but Lenny could not seem to help himself. Will we listen to God's plan? I don't want to be like Lenny. Wanting, desiring... It is not sufficient. I want to be open to what God has in store for me, His plan. Thank God for His plans and I want to be an instrument in them.

picture source

jeremyhoover February 11, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Nice post, Judy. I always find a lot of tension between knowing what God wants me to do and actually doing it! This gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for writing it.

Icy BC February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

What a beautiful post, Judy! I love this part the most: "I want to be open to what God has in store for me, His plan. Thank God for His plans and I want to be an instrument in them."

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Jeremy, thanks so much for your visit. You share so much insight with me that I am truly grateful if I can offer just a little "seeds for thoughts". :-) Thanks so much for your visit.

Icy, you are so supportive. I am grateful for you visit and your kind words.

Take care & God bless!

WordsPoeticallyWorth February 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

You are indeed a treasure to behold
And granted, we need to look after ourselves,
But the Lord's character too I was sold
As before the Bookcase I had put up the shelves.
Charity is a worth before gold.

Good bless you Judy, you are truely an inspiration. Sorry about my intentions with my blogg, but they were also honourable as I only need a little from a Lot! Ha. Thank you. Take very grateful care. Bye.

Self Sagacity February 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM

thanks for posting this, i enjoyed the read. Have a good weekend, V day and Luna New Year!

CA Johnson February 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

This is really good. This is very inspirational. I also want to be open for God's plan. BTW, that's great that your grandson's play was a success. :)

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Self Sagacity, you are so welcome! Thanks for your visit and support. I hope you enjoy the upcoming events & have a blessed week end.

CA, I am sure that you are. We enjoyed the play and I think he enjoyed the acting. He's trying out for a musical Titanic now. Hmmm? I hope you have a blessed w/e too! :-)

SquirrelQueen February 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM

I have never seen this done as a play but I read the book years ago, it is a very moving story. I really enjoyed you take on it.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Judy, thanks so much for your visit and support. Have a blessed week end.