Sunday, February 14, 2010

Water is not just for ducks!

My friend Jeannie had taught her ducks a pretty cool trick. She and her husband had given them a kiddie pool and would fill it with water. When she clapped her hands they followed one another in a circle going clockwise. She would clap her hands and they would do an about face and circle the other way. Ducks love water and we should too.

A lack of water can kill you.

My oldest son nearly died from lack of water, a condition called heat stroke. He was working long hours in the hot sun as a roofer. They dressed warmly as the hot tar would burn their skin as well as the sun rays, so they protected themselves by being dressed from head to toe. Because of the extreme temperatures on this day they called off work early, but not early enough. He was approximately half an hour from home when he called me on his cell phone. He advised me that he had pulled off of the road and parked behind a fast food restaurant as he could not stop throwing up. He wanted me to come and get him.

He had suffered a heat stroke.

I knew the nature of his job. I knew the temperature and I had taken first aid yearly while in the military and while working as a corrections officer. I was not risking his life by letting him sit there until I found him so I called an ambulance. I met them at the hospital. My son was on an I.V. to replace his lost electrolytes and fluids. The doctor told me his kidneys had shut down and he probably would not have survived another half hour. He was upset thinking that he may have to foot the bill for the ambulance because he had seven children to support (he has nine now). He fumed about me calling 9ll, but fortunately his job picked up the cost. They considered it workman's comp. He remained in the hospital for three days. Maintaining the proper fluid intake is serious, very serious.

Health care fascinates me but sometimes I know just enough to think I've got it, when I really don't. I thought that water retention, (not what my son had but bloating and swelling from water being retained) should be treated in two ways.
  1. Decreasing sodium
  2. Decreasing fluid intake
Boy was I wrong; at least half wrong.

Researching for my latest article  I learned that only those who are advised to restrict water intake should, and those are generally people with kidney or heart disease. Being diagnosed with edema does not mean drink less. We need to flush our kidneys and the rest of our body too.  This is one of the reasons I love to research and write. There is so much to learn. I also learned:

“Thirst is an imperfect warning system, however, because it is not triggered until dehydration is already present.” - Reader’s Digest Health & Healing the Natural Way Eating for Good Health.
If interested, click on my above link and learn what I learned. Take care. God bless and stay healthy.

Carmen Araneta February 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Amen to that! Everyone and every living thing needs water. Even our spirit and soul needs the 'fountain of living water'.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Carmen, thanks for the visit and I have to agree 100%.

Take care & God bless you this Valentine's day!

SquirrelQueen February 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Excellent information Judy.
Your quick thinking saved your son's life.

I taught first aid & CPR for over ten years in GA and AK, heat stoke and heat exhaustion were part of the course. Everyone should know the signs of both.

What many people do not realize is that you can also become dehydrated in the wintertime too. Staying hydrated is important any time of the year.

WordsPoeticallyWorth February 15, 2010 at 4:51 AM

Flap on wing and sling
Sound of luck from duck
So drop down and frown
At others likewise prise.

A sorry affair, people should respect family culture! Thank you Ever so much. Take wonderful and considerate gentle care. Bye.

Icy BC February 15, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I can vow for this too, Judy! JoJo suffered from heat exhaustion this last summer after his soccer game..It was very scary, so now I have to remind him to drink lot of water even in the winter, like Squirrel Queen has mentioned. It's so important to keep hydrated.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Judy, I don't fluids serious enough during colder climates. After researching for this article I am making sure to have a glass/bottle nearby at all times.

Words, thanks for the lyrical comment.

Icy, I am so glad you are taking good care of JoJo. It is scary, very scary. Avoiding caffeinated beverages is important too.

DoanLegacy February 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Great information..sometimes we take water for granted in the summer, but forget about it in the winter..

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM

DoanLegacy, thanks again for your visit. Yes, we need to always stay hydrated.

Take care & God bless.

CA Johnson February 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I agree, Judy. We all do need to stay hydrated. Water is very important for all of us. I am glad that your son is okay after suffering from heat stroke.

Judy Sheldon-Walker February 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM

CA, thanks, I am too. He was hospitalized for 3 days. It took that to convince him of the seriousness. :-) He is fine now and much smarter.

CHAN LEE PENG February 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Water is important 4 human life, because water occupies 70% of our body weight.