Thursday, April 8, 2010

Are Publishers Ethical?

We met at Triond

I met Icy BC Doan, Anne, and Chan Lee Peng in 2007, while writing at Triond. We have struggled through the many challenges and changes we met through various writing stages there. In fact I followed Anne Lyken-Garner's and Icy's example and created a blog to help market my content there.

Blogs take on a life of their own.

But if you are a blogger you know, a blog will take on a life of its own. Soon I found myself blogging because I love to blog, and I love to share the little bits and pieces of my friend's lives as they share them on their blogs. Anne was the first one to share my link in her side bar. Icy shared tips with me on setting up my blog, as she is so much quicker at understanding the technological aspects of blogging. She has been an angel. Chan motivated and encouraged. Chan would check out new sites and come back to me and say "Judy, try this one".. or that one. I learn a lot from Chan's research and the articles Chan has published at Factoidz are displayed in the link at the end of my blog.

We love writing but we have to eat!

I wrote about Icy's article after she followed me to Factoidz. I had not got around to telling you about mine. I thought I would write another and talk about both of them. I took a pause because my good friend Jeannie had a severe asthma attack. I researched several days to find out as much as I could to assist her. I went to publish it at Factoidz and had technical problems so it got posted at Triond, but sent to Jeannie first. Thankfully she is doing much better now.

Writers are told to be credible, but what about publishers?

What is it about writing sites now? Some will not answer your technical queries for days on end. (not Triond or Bukisa); some do not pay what they promise; some lure you in with promises they just don't keep. We write because we love to write, but we have to eat so of course we try to write where we know we will get paid. Let it be our choice whether we write for nothing or not. Why can't they just be honest, or "transparent"? While writing at Associated Content I was asked to call them on the phone to get verified. I did and supposedly was verified. Then I was to fill out paypal forms. I did. I have used paypal for several years and receive income from numerous sites using this method so my account is active. Associated Content refuses to verify my paypal and refuses to answer my queries. Are you experiencing problems at any of the sites you write at?

We have to answer them in a timely fashion, but they can ignore us?

Is it because they have unlimited resources as far as writers are concerned but we are limited in where we can write? How can we make our jobs as writers more satisfying? How can we assure that editors are just as ethical as we are?

photo source

CHAN LEE PENG April 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Thanks sister, I hope this will help alert people. I'm really down at this moment while dealing with an immoral publisher. It seemed like I've been hooked but could do nothing.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Chan, it is nothing you have done. You are a wonderfully talented writer who works hard to present articles to help others to maintain their health. The fault does not lie with you. I pray that things will work out for you.

Take care & God bless.

CHAN LEE PENG April 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Icy BC April 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

How awful! I should stop my writing there...

Icy BC April 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

How awful! I should stop my writing there...

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Icy, please do not commit your time while we are unsure of their ethics. You are talented enough to write any where, and deserve to get paid, just as Chan does.

Chan, they may have stolen your rightfully earned royalties, but please do not let them steal your spirit, and joy or rob you of your talent. You enjoy writing and put together very comprehensive health articles. It is your God given gift. If you allow them to discourage you, you have lost even more.

SquirrelQueen April 10, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Sorry to hear of Chan's problems, if it were me I would have no more to do with this company.

There are so many scams on the internet I would stick with the ones you know are reputable and not bother looking at any others. Just my two cents.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Judy, I think we have come to the same conclusion. Thanks so much for your support. I am sure Chan will appreciate it.

lizzie April 10, 2010 at 5:58 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mumsy April 10, 2010 at 6:57 AM

How injustice this is! Many companies like this got away with scamming people!

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Lizzie, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is only ONE reason not to tell us how we get paid, and to delete your comments because they do not want to acknowledge your concerns is wrong. I am hoping Chan will not stop writing because of them. We love writing.

Mumsy, but with any scam, eventually it has to stop.

Thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless.

Jenny Heart April 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Thinking positive and praying makes for one great writing tool.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Jenny, thinking positive and with prayer makes anything good creativity flow better, that's one of the reasons I ask Chan not to dwell on this.

Thank you for your support. Take care & God bless.

CHAN LEE PENG April 11, 2010 at 7:13 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy Sheldon-Walker April 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Chan, thanks for the follow up. This shows further that we should abandon thoughts of writing for them. I am so sorry for your losses. Thankfully you found out before you spent more time there.

Ruthi April 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your sentiments. Me and Betchai used to have the same sentiments with Today.com. And until now, even if we no longer write for Today.com, our accounts are making money and we don't get paid for that anymore. I signed up with Triond and Bukisa and others but didn't have the chance to write any article for them because I am busy with PPP. It pays more if you are wondering. You are a good writer... there are other ways to make money through blogging. If you want to know more... email me at mytoolbox@ruthiniangregoire.com and I am willing to help you.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Ruthi, that is so sweet. For publishers to outright lie and cheat is wrong.

Ron April 14, 2010 at 4:04 AM

From Chan Lee, I ended up on a wonderful website. "Seed for Thought"
is a rare entry in the web. Thumbs Up! for Judy.

Ron April 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM

From Chan Lee's site review about Factoidz, I ended up on this rare website, "Seed for Thoughts".
Thumbs Up! to Judy.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Ron, it's nice of you to leave a comment. I really appreciate it.

Take care & God bless.

CA Johnson April 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM

That is really horrible the way that some sites are choosing to rip off their writers. It's a shanme that they don't realize that they wouldn't have much of a site if it weren't for the talented writers who choose to write for their sites.

Judy Sheldon-Walker October 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Anonymous,I will publish comments with urls but not links when they contain beneficial content. Thanks for sharing!