Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Random Acts of Kindness

I work as a customer service representative and assist customers with their bills, sometimes 10 hours a day. Many of the things I hear each day tend to wrench my heart. The job situation is not good for many people and even paying for their necessities like food and shelter is difficult. I heard an appalling statistic the other day referring to approximately one out of ten Americans losing their home or being near foreclosure. I try not to dwell on the sad situations that many are facing, and sometimes mine is only a fraction better. Who do you know that would not behind if their pay check did not come in on pay day?

We brace ourselves for each call, never knowing what we will hear, answering the phone with a smile on our face and a positive voice, but the call I got just last week made my day. A customer called and did not want to look at his bill. He did not need an extension, but wanted to know how to compliment one of our workers. He recognized our truck and took down the plate number. He personally witnessed one of our drivers go out of his way to buy two women, who were standing in the pouring rain at a bus stop, umbrellas and candy bars. It made his day, and he wanted to "pay forward" also. It's contagious.

Wouldn't it be nice if people would take a moment more often to be kind and considerate to one another? Small things like a smile, a greeting, holding the door or the elevator... We do kindnesses for our friends and loved ones, but to be kind to a perfect stranger is practically unheard of.

I bought these tulips in Walmarts to treat myself. Can I share one with you? Please copy and paste and use it however you would like. I can hear the sound of the theme song for the Golden Girls playing in my head. Can you? "Thank you for being my friend." Let this be the start of my new habit - random acts of kindness. :-) Take care & God bless!!

Self Sagacity April 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Hi Judy! I am glad we met. Ofcourse I am thankful that my sister got me into all this stuff. I have made some wonderful friends through Icy. Sweet of you to post this today!

Icy BC April 8, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Great post, Judy!

The guy who went out of his way to buy umbrella and candy bars for the women has such a beautiful heart..

I was at Blockbuster last night, and while JoJo was holding the door for me, this big guy passed in front of me and got in, without any shame! (I should have tripped him :-(
I see lot of these)

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM

SS & Icy, thanks so much for your visit and support. I blame part of the rudeness and indifference to the women's movement. I want to be treated like a woman, but there are women who don't. It has made some men hesitant in being courteous, but it sounds like this guy was just plain rude. Sorry, Icy. You have the knowledge of knowing you were the bigger person. Women have long been treated as 2nd class. I appreciate this drivers consideration towards the two women waiting for the bus.

Take care, God bless. Have a beautiful day.

SquirrelQueen April 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM

What the driver did was definitely an act of kindness. If each person in the world did one act of kindness each day just think of what a wonderful world we would live in.

Thank you for the tulips Judy.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Judy, you are so welcome. You see I have the flower you gave us posted in my side bar. I love to look at it.

Thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless.

DoanLegacy April 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Wonderful post! The random act of kindness is still around but very rare and seldom..That person is one of those rare person.

Judy Sheldon-Walker April 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM

DL, I do believe there are angels among us and he may have been one of them.

Take care & God bless!

CA Johnson April 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM

That was so great of the man to help them out like that. There really are some good people out there. I agree that helping others can be contagious. It makes you want to do things to help others when you see someone else show an act of kindness.