Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chinese Evergreen Elm

GEDC3283
GEDC3291 GEDC3282 Evergreen elm

I ran an errand with my friend Beverly and happened upon this tree last year. I had never noticed a tree like this before so I snapped pictures and posted it on one of my blogs. I was delighted with the suggestions of what the species might be, but still wanted to know. Not that I did not like your suggestions. I thought they were very clever and imaginative.

Goodwill is currently having a book sale of four books for .99. I was browsing through their shelves when I came across Evergreens by Time Life, so I could not resist. The bottom photo came from the book, page 47.

This tree grows quickly and is ideal as a quick growing shade tree for a small yard or patio as it does not spread too wide. A young tree can grow 5 to 6 feet tall and with age can reach 40 to 50 feet but still maintain it’s compact width making it ideal for smaller areas. It, like a true evergreen, will remain green all year. It likes full sun but will grow in almost any soil. The young tree should be supported because of its rapid growth and because of the weight, weeping branches should be pruned. The recommended varieties are Drake and True Green. Thanks Time Life for solving my mystery.

CHAN LEE PENG June 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Yes, this tree is evergreen, because it'll be green for a longer time. If we humans can be EVERGREEN...we'll of course have zero disease and live longer.

Mumsy July 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Wow..I haven't seen any evergreen like this around my area. Thanks for solving the mystery!

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Chan, thanks for the visit. Yes, we should strive to be "green"!

Mumsy, don't you love mysteries? I do.

Thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless.

SquirrelQueen July 4, 2010 at 4:40 AM

I remember that post and some of the suggestions we made. I am glad you solved the mystery.

Judy Sheldon-Walker July 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Judy, I loved the suggestions, but am glad we solved the mystery.

Self Sagacity January 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM

First thing first. I like your ten popular posts list. It is how i found this post right now, so keep that on your blog if you can. It is great for new visitors, not that I am new, but it's nice to see what I might have missed. As a matter of fact, try to bring it up where people can find it easily :-) (It is my two cents.)
Secondly, I like that tree, shrub, I like that it doesn't get too big and good thing you found some more info on it, because for a minute, I thought I am in love, want, need from seeing the branches danced in the many directions.

Ann October 3, 2011 at 5:13 AM

I am not very good with names, but this Chinese Elm attracted me.