Thursday, June 3, 2010

Creeping Charlie: Friend or Foe?

GEDC6073

charlie When this ground ivy first appeared in my back yard over 15 years ago, I was not concerned. It’s pretty. It takes no maintenance. It’s soft under bare feet, and it’s low so we actually have to mow the lawn less frequently. It grows very prettily right along side the violets… I like the little purple trumpet shaped flowers.

It popped up in my front yard and quickly spread. Jeannie saw it and told me that I needed to sprinkle lime or it would take over my yard. Last year and this year I put down lime and reclaimed my front yard, but the back yard is peppered. Each year there are fewer violets. I love my violets.

Just when I was trying to decide whether to sprinkle lime in the backyard or not  I opened one of my new herb books and the friendly little flower was featured there with a warning of how to keep it from taking over the yard and health benefits. So I’m researching. As soon as I am satisfied that I have uncovered most of the health benefits, I will be completing an article and submitting it to Triond.

Isn’t it wonderful how God shows us his wonders day by day? Have a blessed day!

CA Johnson June 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

It is a pretty flower. I will be looking forward to reading the health benefits for the flower.

Mumsy June 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM

If you need more creeping charlie, let me know! My back yard is covered with this..

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

CA, the minute I hear that something natural is healthy I'm looking into it. :-)

Mumsy, you might not want to give it away. lol Wait and see.

Thanks for visiting. Take care & God bless.

CHAN LEE PENG June 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Sis, I saw this plant elsewhere and I was told that it has medicinal value..

Any green plants can's be enermies to human right? (excluding weeds and grasses, or other annoying plants)

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Chan, so far it appears to me that the only bad plants are the poisonous ones. We pass judgment way too quickly on vegetation.

Thanks for the visit. Take care & God bless, sis

DoanLegacy June 5, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Creeping charlie grows where people don't want it to grow. That might be the reason for its bad reputation..

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

DL, I'll agree with that. I never planted mine, but while researching found over a dozen health benefits offered by using it plus it's edible and contains both vitamin c and iron. I submitted the article yesterday at Triond and am waiting for it to be published.

Thanks for the visit. Have a wonderful week end!

SquirrelQueen June 10, 2010 at 3:37 AM

It is a pretty little plant, if only there were some way to contain it. A long time ago I grew some in a hanging basket.

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Judy, that sounds like the perfect solution!