Monday, June 21, 2010

Wildflowers

chicory
Gossamer

I love wildflowers. Some people just call them weeds, but then once you look a little closer you will find that most of our medicines, prescribed or alternative originated with the discovery of a plant’s hidden benefits.

The use of herbs is referred to countless times in the Bible and was taught by Samuel. The prophet Ezekiel in Ezekiel 47:12 stated (while planning an orchard) “The fruit will be for food and the leaves for medicine.” The Living Bible

How many of us thoughtlessly kill off vegetation thinking it is “just weeds”? Some of our herbs are becoming extinct so if we do not learn about them, they may. Beside we can actually gain better health and nutrition for free by growing our own herbs and learning to use them.

My “investigation” :-) took me to a vacant lot behind a local store. I recognized the chicory, clover, dandelions, Queen Anne’s Lace but was stumped by the center of my second collage. Is it Colt's foot? It was soft like gossamer, twice the size of a dandelion head when it goes to seed, and the filaments were softer than a feather with a shimmery gold color. I was utterly fascinated, so fascinated that I walked into the yard to get a closer look.

Then my eye was caught by this small red plant that is just beginning to sprout. The red was so noticeable among all the green…After snapping a few pictures, this is what I saw:

GEDC8868_01 Oops! Honest, I meant no harm.

The “grass” is nearly as tall as the sign, and unfortunately the litter cannot read. :-) I can, so I took my camera and left, quietly.

For more mosaics check out Mosaic Monday and have a blessed week.

Naturegirl June 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Judy I too love walking about the wildflowers and am facinated by their beauty!I have a packet of wildflower seeds and do not have an appropriate place in my own garden to scatter them!Perhaps a wheelbarrel full of earth may do!!
Such a shame how unkind humans can be and litter our enviroment!
OOPS! That happens to me I don't see keep out signs when walking about nature fields!

ruthi June 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I think wildflowers are more beautiful than the ones you can see in the landscaped garden because their beauty is natural.

Icy BC June 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I agree with you, Judy! I have a totally different perspective for wild flowers about two year ago when I took close up pictures of them and saw how beautiful they were!

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Naturegirl, that would be lovely, or an old tire full of soil...I am anxious to see what you come up with. Thanks for visiting.

Ruthi, I don't know how to landscape, and am trying to learn, but I have to agree with you. Nature knows best.

Thanks for the visits!

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Icy, you and camera have opened my eyes to the beauty of lots of plants. I am simply in awe!

Blessings!

Sis

papabear June 22, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I have not seen the white flower in your second collage before... Amazing species... :)

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Papabear, I have looked through my wild flower book and the only thing close is a colt's foot, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the visit! Have a wonderful day!

Mumsy June 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I love chicory, but haven seen them around yet..It's too rainy and cold!

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Mumsy, I only just spotted them this year. There aren't as many as usual though.

Thanks for your visit. Take care & God bless!

CA Johnson June 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM

These wildflowers are really nice. I haven't seen any of these here in NJ.

Judy June 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM

You asked about the mallow - they are all in the same family, so the flowers do resemble one another.
As to your mystery flower - coltsfoot is long gone, and it is much the same size as dandelion, or shorter. We have them here, and I think it is oyster plant, except I have never seen the flowers...

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM

CA and Judy, I learn about plants daily. I read in Marjorie Blamey's "Flowers of the Countryside" that a seed can sit dormant for 50 years then sprout and also she had an amazing distance they can travel before taking root. My catalpa tree planted itself behind my home in the back of my driveway and younger versions continue to grow under my front steps...My Rose of Sharon has saplings spread throughout my yard and I began with one mulberry tree but have three several yards apart.

Nature continues to amaze daily and I would love to know what my mystery flower is. :-)

SquirrelQueen June 25, 2010 at 4:15 AM

I have stumbled across a sign or two like that myself. The litter is sad, humans can be real pigs.

Your center flower is as the other Judy (there are a lot of us today) said an oyster plant or Salsify. I'm not sure about any medicinal uses but the spring leaves can be used in salads or cooked. The roots can be cooked and have an oyster flavor. I ran across this one last year and looked it up.

Judy Sheldon-Walker June 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Judy, thanks! I've been looking and could not find the pictures of one that had gone to seed. I did look up oyster plants and the author said they grow near the sea?

It's always nice to know about the uses of another plant.