Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Being Good Enough

When I watch others at work, I think the job is easier for them to understand. They are smarter at computers than I. When I look at other blogs, I think theirs are prettier than mine, more popular, the pictures are much nicer...When I cook dinner I think someone else could prepare a much tastier meal. When I visit others in their homes I admire their furnishings and housekeeping and feel ashamed of my own.

When I see a couple walking hand in hand at the mall, I think he must really love her more than my husband loves me. You would not catch mine holding my hand. If he did, I'd need resuscitated!

When I get dressed for work, I think of how much nicer I used to look when I was  younger and the list goes on...I tie myself in knots with self doubts and insecurities.I found a poem in our church bulletin which must have been written by someone who could relate to this feeling:

The Knots Prayer

Dear God;
Please untie the knots
that are in my mind,
my heart and my life.
Remove the have nots,
the can nots and the do nots
that I have in my mind.

Erase the will nots,
may nots,
might nots that may find
a home in my heart.

Release me from the could nots,
would nots and
should nots that obstruct my life

And most of all,
Dear God,
I ask that you remove from my mind,
my heart and my life all of the "am nots"
that I have allowed to hold me back,
especially the thought
that I am not good enough.
Amen.
Author Known to God
We learn how to tie knots early in life, lets learn how to untie some. :-) Take care and God bless.

CHAN LEE PENG September 23, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Beautiful piece. :-)

SquirrelQueen September 23, 2010 at 4:42 AM

This is a very thought provoking post Judy. We are all guilty of the "am nots" and "what if's". We have to let go of these thoughts and enjoy who we are and what we have to a certain point. There is always room for growth and improvement don't you think.

WordsPoeticallyWorth September 23, 2010 at 5:32 AM

Notting hill is a film, and a hill in not always picturesque, but Robin Hood lived in Nottingham forest, and turned the bad roots into something to digest, so like Julia Roberts, embrace falling, and conquer mountains - with LOVE.

Love yourself, and disregard negativity, as you are wonderful inside - and out. (This should 'not' be taken lightly.)

A lovely poem. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Mumsy September 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I love this poem! It's such a deep contemplation to go through and appreciate it for the day!

CA Johnson September 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I really enjoyed the poem and I have felt that way at times too. The grass always seems greener on the other side doesn't it?

ruthi September 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM

being good enough... is a matter of choice. sometimes we chose not to be good because we know that some people will accept us for what we are. but then, there are times that we try hard to be good enough to please those people whom we think are above us.

for me... meeting you and knowing you is good enough for me because you are one of those people who inspire me.

Cher September 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM

you are really a great blessing to be thankful of, Judy! i love your thankful Thursdays that i am linking mine to yours, i hope you don't mind. :)
have a blessed weekend! i so love the poem, i shall untie my nots now. ;)

Judy Sheldon-Walker September 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Chan, thanks for the support!

Judy, I am sure we have room to improve. I find there are times it is difficult to feel encouraged if feeling incapable to begin with.

WPW, thanks for your wonderful visits. You usually leave me such clever poems in the comment box.

Mumsy, I plan on having this poem where I can see it daily.

CA, why is that, do you think?

Ruthi, it is I who is inspired by your kind and provocative thoughts.

Cher, I am so honored. I look forward to reading it.