Saturday, October 23, 2010

Flax Facts for Better Health

"Flax is used for paints, varnishes, papers, linseed oil, fabric, basket weaving, linoleum, twine, banknotes, damasks, lace, fishing nets, and sheeting. It is found to be soft, lustrous, and flexible while being stronger than cotton. It does not have the give of cotton though."

"The Complete Guide to Herbal Medicines by Charles W. Fetrow, PharmD and Juan R. Avila, PharmD lists the medicinal uses as :

1.reducing atherosclerosis (artery plaque buildup)
2.relieving colon problems related to laxative abuse
3.relief of constipation
4.treatment of diverticulitis (inflammatory disease of the intestines)
5.reducing cholesterol
6.aid in skin inflammation
7.assist in treating irritable bowel syndrome" - taken from my article

This is only a small portion of the information I found while researching flax. If you would like you can  read more at: Perhaps the Most Versatile Plant in the World.

Nature has so much to offer us if we but look, learn, and listen.  I would like to help you in a journey to better health.  Take care and God bless!

♥-Icy BC-♥ October 23, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I've never seen flax seeds flower before, this is beautiful, and the information is so helpful to know!

Ann October 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM

I am curious about the plant in the second photo.

Flax in New Zealand are different

Judy Sheldon-Walker October 24, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Icy, I hadn't either, but take flax.

Ann, the pictures were posted at Wikipedia and the link is enclosed in the post.

Thanks for the visit and God bless.

Stephen October 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM

interesting! I barely known this plant, they have a lot of usage..

CA Johnson October 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I didn't realize that flax has so many uses. It's good to know that it is so versatile. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ann October 25, 2010 at 6:37 AM

Thanks for link.

I am sure there are different kinds of flax, There are big ones, and smaller ones, and in my school, there is even one with a reddish tinge.

Flax are very important to the Maori and Polynesian people. They have the protocol of asking permission from the plant before cutting their leaves, and then returning all the unused bits to the plant.( They had this centuries before composting became fashionable.)

School kids are asked to respect the plant, though I see some plants have been mutilated.

SquirrelQueen October 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM

What an interesting plant, I never knew it had so many uses. I don't think I have ever seen the plant itself only photos.

ruthi November 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM

oh thanks for the info. i am taking flax seeds with my cereal and oatmeal now. didn't know that it has lots of health benefits.