Sunday, October 31, 2010

Please Help yourself to some Cassava and Lower your Cholesterol

This is one of the loveliest flowers I have ever seen. Imagine my delight when I found out the flowers are edible and so are the roots. Not only are they edible, they are highly nutritious and the yucca, also called cassava or manioc tested higher in its ability to lower cholesterol levels than sweet potato, purple yam, spiny yam and six different types of legume. The test, conducted in the Phillipines, indicated that of those participants who ate cassava daily for two weeks the average reduction in cholesterol levels was 15%. - The Doctor'sBook of Food Remedies by the editors of Prevention. For more information read here.

Yucca root is sold in the larger grocery stores so I purchased one yesterday and prepared it for the first time. My husband and I enjoyed the taste and I am sure I will buy it again when it is in season. I read in the Food Remedy book that not all yucca roots are edible. They must be "sweet" so I will not dig up any. :-)

It has a thick waxy brown skin on it. The wax put me in the mind of rutabagas, but the skin is tougher.

Cut into two inch segments. It is rather hard to cut.

With a sharp knife remove thick skin.

Remove the thread from the center. It comes out very easily with a sharp knife.

I boiled mine, but there are many ways to cook yucca.

It's kind of sweet. We didn't need any butter. I used salt free seasoning. Why lower the cholesterol and raise the blood pressure? :-)

CHAN LEE PENG November 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM

It's nutritious! Sound delicious too! Thanks, sis! :-)

***Icy BC November 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM

This look yummy, Judy, and the health benefits would be right in line with what I want to eat..

CA Johnson November 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I have never heard of this flower, but that it great that it is good for you. My grandmother has high cholesterol so this flower might be able to help her.

SquirrelQueen November 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I have seen yucca root a few times in the produce section but had no idea how to prepare it. Maybe next time I see it I will give it a try. Those greens look yummy too, I love turnip greens.

Ann November 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM

we have yucca here. I posted a beautiful plant lst year because I really likd the look and had to make a detour to photograph it.

This must be the Yucca maniou (sorry about spelling) or cassava. I didn't know they can be eaten.

In Malaysia and Borneo, they are a complete different plant.

I enjoy reading your vast knowledge of plants.

Self Sagacity November 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Thanks so much, if I can find it, I will buy it too. HC is another one of my problems. Good to know and glad you showed how to cook them too.

ruthi November 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM

oh those look so yummy. we also have those in the Phils and we usually prepare them as desserts. you give me a bright idea. need to go to the grocery now.