Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Poetic License

I'm a grandma, AGAIN! This makes grandchild number 26!

Each one is very special and valued in God's sight. I am so blessed.

My mind was wandering over the history of the Bible. How we were nearly destroyed by the flood; then how wicked we became when Abraham pled for Sodom. When I think of birth I see it as a promise of life..continuation...hope. Would God allow the birth of children, if He had no plans for us? I dedicated a poem to my new grand daughter and received this comment:

"Congratulations! Unfortunately, the poem is nonsensical. It begins w/ platitude ruminations and the answer is God & baby! Sorry, not buying it."
This comment sits in my box awaiting approval. It may be that I am too thin skinned. Admittedly, I am a bit sensitive, but to me poetry is the one place I can be "me". I can say what I think and feel as long as I am not hurting anyone. "Not buying it"? What's for sale? Poetry has been my solace since I was a child. Am I wrong?
Did I misunderstand the comment and should I publish it? This post is linked to My Two Questions!

By the way, last weeks funny looking vegetable was a snake gourd. Thanks for participating!
Let's get the conversation rolling. Take care and God bless!

Margaret Duarte October 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Hi Judy. First of all, congratulations on the birth of your 26th grandchild. My mother made it that far, but I will never see more than four, I'm sure.

I'm not sure I understand your two questions. If you're asking if it's okay to publish your poem (?), I'd say go for it. That's what poetry is all about, self expression. Not everyone will understand or appreciate your poetry, but who cares if it helps you express whom you are.

Judy Sheldon-Walker October 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Margaret, thanks so much for your visit. I'm sorry if I was not clear. I publishemd my poem. It is the comment in response to my poem (shown quoted here) that I have not posted to the blog. I do not understand what Khakjaan is criticizing. It has me puzzled. Perhaps the poem is only good in my own mind, but does it warrant this type of criticism?

Poetic Shutterbug October 28, 2010 at 1:12 AM

1. Congratulations!!! on your grandchild. Beautiful photo.

2. As a poet for over 30 years I have had quite a mix of positive and negative comments on my poetry. I've learned that a poem touches people in different ways. For whatever reason, that comment sounded more angry than anything else. However, I would publish the comment with a response similar to " I'm sorry you feel that way."

NEVER take these comments to heart especially if they are rooted in anger which I thought that particular one was. Don't ever question anything that comes from you heart, no matter the critics.

Your poem from my perspective was very beautiful and touching.

Luna Miranda October 28, 2010 at 2:07 AM

congratulations on your new grandchild. 26th, wow!

i agree with Margaret, poetry is self-expression. it's your blog, you can write whatever you want.:p

i usually write poetry for myself, and if somebody doesn't get it, it's ok. unkind comments can be hurtful. if i were in your place, i would publish it with a reply or a question addressed to the commenter.

cheer up!

Krislin Neo, Ting (Syracuse Pike) October 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM

I have read your poem and I am just curious as to what Khakjaan is criticizing..
Yes, I do understand how it feels when it comes to poetry because like you, I find the solace in poetry since young..
I think I met you before in One Shot Poetry and well, I don't know if my suggestion will help..
Go ahead and published it.. Just as how you share your poem to the world, share what others feels about it too and then, others will come to know about it and explanation might flow from then on.. The reason why it is still sitting in your inbox, waiting for approval is that you are torn between to published and not so, take the risk and see where it will take you.. After all, you can remove it even after it is published.. There is a turn back even after you published and what's more, there might be some who will know what this person is criticizing, to clear your doubts and hurt.. ;) *HUG*

Cathy Kennedy October 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM

If you don't like the comment given then don't publish it. That's your right. However, I wouldn't be too concerned by one person's negativity. As Margaret said, not everyone is going to get what you're talking about because all too often poetry can be abstract. Just enjoy your craft. Congrats on the newest addition to the family. Wow, 26 grandbabies!

DoanLegacy October 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

First of all, congratulation on being a grandma again..You're blessed!

1) I would publish the comment just so other will see his/her "nonsensical" comment. He/she doesn't sound like a smart person to me when attacking someone else for their creativity.

2) I would visit that person, and leave a comment such as what you said in your post: "sorry, my poem isn't for sale, and you're not qualify to buy it!"

It always angers me when someone like this guy/gal acted as if their "shi-tucky" is better than anyone else! So sorry Judy for this..

Donnie October 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I wonder if that commenter would have said that to your face. If I disagree with something someone says I just remember that is her opinion and only her problem. I think everyone has the right to an opinion but you don't have to post anything hurtful to you.

Your newest grandchild is beautiful as is all God's creations til man messes with them. Have a blessed day.

♥-Icy BC-♥ October 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Judy, sorry about that rude comment from that person.

1) Don't publish it..It's his/her scam to leave a nasty comment to get people to their visit their page. We had this on Triond.

2) As a matter of fact, you're giving him/her view with his/her link in this post.

I would read it the same way as you had..You didn't misunderstood it..

ilovepink October 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Congratulations! You've a beautiful grandchild.

Yes, you can write anyanything or it could be a mixed bag. feel free to write your poem and have courage.

Gale October 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM

First, congrats!

Second, he may be having more problem with your worldview than your poetry. I would feel a little unsettled by a comment like that too. Can't tell you what to do about posting it.

I will say about your poem...I could see where the jump to "a baby girl" might be harder to understand if you didn't have the explanation that we did:

"Would God allow the birth of children, if He had no plans for us?"

That is a beautiful and thoughtful perspective, and while I think it's implied in the poem, some people might not be able to make the jump to that from the poem itself. I think that's such a profound statement and that working it in more directly, or leading up to it, might add something to the poem while not subtracting anything or being too blunt.

But again, I don't know think he was really critiquing your poem, just your viewpoint...I'd think if he was confused he would have said "I don't get it" in stead of "I don't buy it." What he says leads me to believe that he doesn't believe in God in the first place, and that a baby girl being a message of hope from God would then be one step further out of his worldview.

CA Johnson October 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I want to congratulate you on your new granddaughter. She is just adorable.

I read your poem and I thought it was really beautiful. I really don't understand why the person said those things. I would have been hesitant to publish those comments too. I probably wouldn't have done it because I think would spend far too much time thinking about negative comments. I would rather read positive or constructive comments.

SquirrelQueen October 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I saw that you have already published the comment on your other blog. Don't take comments too seriously.

If two people read the same page of the same book chances are they will interpretive it differently. Your poem is very well written but what it means to you and I may not be the same meaning another reader would get.

The way I read the comment was that he/she did not believe the logic of the progression of your poem.

Lui, Heaven October 29, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Hi Judy! I read your poem and I think it is such a beautiful gift that your grandchild will treasure in the future when she is older and can grasp its meaning.

Khaakjaan's comments, I think, is his take on what he believes poetry is all about. I get flowery with words too simply because I have awesome experiences and discoveries so sometimes I get questions and comments like that which I publish as a form of respect. After which, I steep and sip mint tea, munch some ginger balls, and mumble to my dogs! ;-)

Self Sagacity November 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Congratulations! What a beautiful photo of the baby!

Hopefully by now the words have already fade in the past.

Ruthi November 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Congratulations! Aren't they all cute and special. Sometimes much cuter and more special than their parents. hahaha just joking.