Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Best and the Worst Job

When I became active on my blogs and writing online I was attending college full time and working as an assistant manager at Dollar General. Working retail can be very physically demanding and dealing with the demands of working freight and chasing shop lifters had become old. I enjoyed the customer end of the position and was very rewarded with the satisfaction of improving customer relations but ... Is seems there are drawbacks in most professions. Is there a perfect job? If someone would buy some of my poetry to use for songs and it turned out quite lucrative, that would be my ideal career break! :-) What would you consider a perfect job?

What has been your nightmare job? It's funny; I worked in the prison for seven years. You would think I would name that as the worst job. It wasn't the best; but the absolutely worst was selling Rainbow Cleaning systems. (not vacuum cleaners, but cleaning systems!) They put you through training and teach you word for word their spiel and how to demonstrate their product. I love the product. They promise to help line up demos for you. Their idea of help is providing a telephone book!! They demand a ridiculous amount of demos to be performed or there is no paycheck other than your commission if you sell one. The price is extremely high for anyone who is already stretching a tight budge. They offer financing, and insist you call them at the end of your demo before leaving the prospective buyer's home. The demo is at a fevered pitch and they coach you  insisting you reel the customer in. I sold only two - one to my mother and one to my best friend.

When I walked away from the job I had worked for Rainbow for a month and a half without a paycheck earning only a small commission which did not cover the gas used for travelling to the many demos I presented. Often fear would grip me as I traveled to unknown parts and to stranger's homes. It hit me that no one would know where to look for me or what had happened to me should I meet with some ill fate.

When I was looking for another job to leave Dollar General I answered a clerical ad and happened to see their set up through the window where I signed in for my interview. I made a hasty retreat. They were not catching me again.

I got a job the same day working where I work now so I handed in my two week notice right around Christmas time. I now work at a call center. For my third year anniversary I was given a gift certificate to a very nice high class restaurant and took pictures of the hibiscus I found there. :-) And you thought all you take home from eating out was a doggie bag!!

This post is linked to My Two Questions! Please join us. There is always a friendly discussion taking place. Take care and God bless!

THIS

quilly December 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I love the Rainbow Cleaning System, but I hate the price tag!

#1.) I want to be a published author! Alas, I lack discipline.

#2.) The best job I have ever had was teaching school and the worst job I had was teaching school. I team taught pre-K with a group of three women who were mean and snarly to me almost every day of the year. I loved the kids, but hated going to work.

Self Sagacity December 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Hi Judy, I like reading about your different jobs and what came with them.
1) Blogging would be a perfect job for me right now, if it paid well.
2) My first job as a bus girl in a very busy Mexican Restaurant. Needless to say, hungry drunk people are not the nicest, or most courteous.

Margaret Duarte December 9, 2010 at 1:39 AM

My perfect job would be doing book signings and appearing in front of audiences to promote my four novels. I love talking about writing. I love meeting other authors. I love meeting readers with feedback about my work. Maybe someday.

My worst jobs, though not nightmares exactly were while I was in college and desperate for money. 1. Working on a tomato harvestor for the farmer who lived next door. It was usually between 90 and 100 degrees outside and often mice came through along with the tomatoes. We stood on the harvester as it moved through the field for eight hours a day with short breaks in between. Tough, but I was proud of myself for keeping it up. Teaching junior high school after I graduated from college was pleasure after that. 2. I also worked as a janitor for JCPenny. Made more money than the salesgirls (that's why I took the job), but people looked down on me for doing it. I was proud that I always looked nice, smiled and did a darn good job.

Luna Miranda December 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM

very interesting post, Judy. a job in sales is always a challenge.:p

1) a food critic would be a perfect job for me.:p or somebody who travels to far-flung places to check out the local cuisine. quite exciting.:p

2) my first job working in a government office where almost everyone was taking kickbacks, where i witnessed how corrupt and hypocritical the bosses were. and we didn't get our salaries on time. i wrote my observations everyday and dropped it anonymously in a suggestion box until the boss almost had a heart attack! LOL i eventually left, disillusioned.

SquirrelQueen December 9, 2010 at 4:19 AM

The hibiscus are gorgeous.

When I worked for an employment agency a company like Rainbow wanted us to sent them potential applicants. We politely refused and showed them the door.

My ideal job when I was younger was photo journalism, I wanted to travel the world and cover the big stories.

My worse job was at an employment agencies, I worked for two and the other one was great.

Ann December 9, 2010 at 4:53 AM

I lasted one month selling sets of books and encyclopeadia. Did like thier policy of sitting in some one's house for 4 hours.

♥-Icy BC-♥ December 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM

1) My perfect job would be spending time writing, and taking pictures, with paid of course.

2) The worst job I had was babysitting a child who wore cloth diaper...I quit after my first day.

Cathy Kennedy December 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM

My perfect job is doing what I've been doing for the past 22-years being a stay-at-home mom. This gives me a wonderful sense of self-worth knowing I'm providing for my family on a 24/7 basis - cleaning, cooking, doctoring, encouraging, teaching, cuddling, ... While many women work outside the home and still do some of these things, I dare say many wish they had the opportunity that I do on a full-time level. It's not easy and there isn't enough money in Corporate America that can match the demands of my job, but my rewards come from seeing the gratitude in my family's faces.

My worse job was working short term for a company as an Accounts Receivables clerk. They were so picky and controlling which made all their employees so uptight. I was let go after two-weeks and although I was devastated, I was happier in the end as I got a better job. When one door closes sometimes a better one opens like it did for me.

myslykemeeh December 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Aren't we all have those worst and perfect jobs?

Great writing. Keep up!

Judy Sheldon-Walker December 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Margaret, four books? I am some what in awe, but then it takes a lot of work and discipline (as Quilly so nicely mentioned) to get there so I am certain you earned it. I truly wish you all the best with that and everyone else with their ideal jobs. Oh, if only money was not an issue, then perhaps everyone would work aat something they love. But then, life is meant to be a challenge. I am sure there is a reason.

Anonymous, this is a topic sponsored weekly by http://www.blessingreflections.com/. There is always room for one more. Climb aboard!

CA Johnson December 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM

What an interesting and thought provoking post.

My dream job would be to get paid lots of money for my writing so I would be set for life.

The worst job I had was as a receptionist. The job was okay, but the boss was a piece of work. She didn't respect the workers and she always talked down to us.

Judy Sheldon-Walker December 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM

CA, you know a boss were a bad attitude can really make a job miserable, while one with an outstanding one can make all the difference in the world. I am sorry you went through that.

I think we have similar ideas of our "dream" job. lol

Take care and God bless!