Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Understanding

The Lord appeared to him (Solomon) in a dream that night and told him to ask for anything he wanted, and it would be given to him! Solomon replied, "You were wonderfully kind to my father David because he was honest and true and faithful to you, and obeyed your commands. And you have continued your kindness to him by giving him a son to succeed him. O Lord my God, now you have made me the king instead of my father, David, but I am as a little child who doesn't know his way around. And here I am among your own chosen people, a nation so great that there are almost too many people to count! Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between what is right and wrong. For who by himself is able to carry such a heavy responsibility?" I Kings 3:5-9 - The Living Bible translation

Skip down to verse 11 where God responds ..."Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people, and haven't asked for a long life of riches for yourself, or for the defeat of your enemies-- yes, I'll give you what you ask for! I will give you a wiser mind than anyone else has ever had or ever will have! And I will also give you what you didn't ask for--riches and honor!"

I was taught long ago that we must be very careful in prayer. I have conversations daily with God. I find at times that I am trying to talk to God in the way He might want me to, then I must back up, search my heart, and surrender my wishes. If I was to pray righteously for His will when I was not sincere, God would see right through me, so I must supplant my desires with His will. You see I once prayed for something I had my heart set on. I got it and found out it was all wrong for me. Now I have a glaring example to remind me to back up, slow down and surrender my wishes to God.

My two questions and the answers are not mandatory. :-)

1. Have you prayed for something and gotten it only to regret it later?

My answer: I was once dating someone I (thought I) really wanted to marry. The marriage did take place and he (my now ex-husband) told me on the way home from the ceremony that he regretted his decision. He became abusive within the week and we divorced shortly after.

2. What is one important lesson  you have learned about prayer?

My answer: I have learned that only God knows what is best and it is best to wait on His timing.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Thanks so much for visiting. Take care and God bless!

Self Sagacity February 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM

1) I think I probably have honestly prayed and received and regretted. I can't remember off hand what it is although it was a major life decision.
2) I haven't learned, I am still praying for somethings that I don't know if god want to give me. Although I hear every word you are saying and I think this is a great subject.

★Mumsy★ February 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM

When I pray, I always remember to tell God that it's up to him, his will, and not mine. Some time my prayer solve the problem, other times not. I learn to pray God for strength and wisdom.

Cathy Kennedy February 10, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I cannot think of a prayer need I requested being a reqret. The one thing prayer has taught me is God's timing isn't the same as mine. I must wait on Him and to have nothing but blind faith He will answer my request.

Single country gal February 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

1) Not that I can think of. I try not to pray for something specfic but fo wisdom to deal witgh the outcome of any sitution.

2)That you need to be faith in it and pray no matter if things are good or bad.

Ruthi February 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM

1. Yes, I did. And I realized that is the reason why there is a saying - be careful with what you wish for.
2. I learned that that God often answers our prayers... sometimes he answers - NO... and most of the time, he answers - WAIT!

have a wonderful weekend.

SquirrelQueen February 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM

I can't think of anything specific, I think carefully before asking.

Answered prayers my not give us the answer we seek, Ruthi is right to be careful what you wish for.

Luna Miranda February 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM

i pray for a lot of things--many of them were granted. but i have no regrets when things don't work out as i would like them to be. when i learn things from either success or failure, i thank God for the gift. well, maybe not right away (:p)...the most important thing i learned from prayer is that, it doesn't matter if my prayer is answered or not, God knows what is best for me. whether the answer is Yes or No, i am grateful.

CA Johnson February 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM

This is a really interesting post. I have prayed for things only to regret them in the end. I agree with Self Sagacity. I am not sure if I am praying for the right things either. I do talk to God daily though because it makes me feel better when I am down.