Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Attack the Smoke not the Smoker!

Cigarette smoke causes migraines.

In a quest for better health I am constantly researching topics that affect our health. I have a very strong allergy to cigarette smoke. I can get an instant migraine from coming in contact with the lingering smell so when I read a few months ago that studies are indicating we have a new concern; "third hand smoke" I read on. Some people think I am over reacting when I say that cigarette smoke makes me sick, literally, but I am not! When my husband smoked I was always using home remedies for odor removal.

Third hand smoke produces dangerous carcinogens.

Science Daily writes in its issue dated February 9, 2010 “Nicotine in third hand smoke, the residue from tobacco smoke that clings to virtually all surfaces long after a cigarette has been extinguished, reacts with the common indoor air pollutant nitrous acid to produce dangerous carcinogens.”

The left over residue is particularly dangerous for our children!

I have 26 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. I consider their health and welfare to be very precious. Did you know that smoking in a home where there is children is hazardous to their health even if they are not present when you smoke? New studies are indicating that "third hand smoke" poses health risks particularly for our infants and toddlers. To learn more about these risks and findings read here.

According to the National Toxicology Program there ae 250 poisonous gases, chemicals and metals contained in cigarette smoke. When the cigarette goes out the danger is still present; clinging on hair, clothing, walls, floors, upholstery and in the very air we breathe. I wonder how to clean smoke damage from the floors and smoke damage from walls plus all the other places it clings to.

Smokers are not malicious beasts.

It is the cigarette that is insidious, not the smoker. I know and love smokers, but how can I live around them and not get sick? How can our children live in a healthy atmosphere?  In a perfect world cigarettes would not have been invented, but in our imperfect world we need to make the best of what life hands us.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. It is here that we get to pose our question and see what kind of responses we get and we also get to join in the conversations of our fellow bloggers. Hey, I get to but in and no one considers it rude! I'm loving it! Thanks, Amanda.

My questions:

1. What are your most dreaded chores? I don't like doing the dishes.
  2. What are the shortcuts you have adopted to make them easier? I keep them done so they do not pile up on me.

Thanks for visiting me today. Take care and God bless.

photo source

Poetic Shutterbug March 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

1. I hate doing laundry. I'll do anything else but that.

2. I take my laundry to a wash and fold service so I don't have to do it :)

CHAN LEE PENG March 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Smoking is not good for health no matter in any form.

Self Sagacity March 31, 2011 at 12:19 AM

1) I really hate picking up after someone. You know, like the crumbs from them slicing their bread for example. It's just annoying. :-)
2) I try to get the person's attention about the little tiny fault they left behind, it helps.

You're so cute. Thanks for linking up with TTQ.

Margaret Duarte March 31, 2011 at 12:48 AM

1. My most dreaded chore is cooking.
2. I make a point of complimenting my husband on his awesome job when he fixes meals. As a result, he does more and more of this dreaded chore. For him it is relaxing. In fact, he loves it. I'm so thankful.

SquirrelQueen March 31, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Cleaning the cat's litter box, not my favorite thing to do each day. I haven't figured out any way to make that easier.

Most household chores I don't mind.

☆☆Mumsy March 31, 2011 at 7:19 AM

My most dreaded chore has to be cleaning the stove/oven, and to keep it from building up, I clean it often!

Cathy Kennedy March 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It use to be my most dreaded chore was folding laundry because there was so much of it. It seemed like I could never keep it caught up.

Now that our house is a little emptier, our laundry is greatly reduced but still there is laundry that must be folded. To keep this from growing out of hand, I quickly tackle this task so it won't be a burden and then it's out of my hair.

Luna Miranda March 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM

i was a smoker for more than 10 years. i finally quit about 6 years ago. smoking gave me allergies that later resulted to surgery. i'm glad i finally a able to quit.

1) i hate doing laundry (by hand) and doing the dishes.

2) for pieces of clothing that need to be hand-washed, i let somebody do it.:p as for the dishes, i let someone do it, too.*LOL*

JamericanSpice March 31, 2011 at 8:00 PM

1. I do not like cleaning the bathrooms, but I am not sure I'd be satisfied with someone else cleaning them.

2. I try to do one house chore each day of the week, but sometimes they still all end up on Saturday!

Enjoy your weekend! :)

Self Sagacity April 3, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Smoking is yuk, and third hand smoking is just ugly. Even though it might been years, the yellow tartar will still show up and go through even carpets.