Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jeannie's Little Friend

O-k, so maybe not, but she threw nuts out for him. :-)

Look a the size of the peanut compared to him, or look at the bird feeder (yellow top) that fell down from the tree.

In England they are breeding chipmunks for pets! Did you know a baby chipmunk which is referred to as a pup weighs less than a nickel at birth? For more chipmunk facts read here.

I have noticed that every few years they seem to be coming up with some animal as an exotic pet. Sometimes this works well and sometimes not. Remember the woman who owned an ape (monkey?) who attacked her friend and nearly killed her? I love my cats and loved my dogs but am not sure how to feel about some of these pets?

What do you think about taming a wild creature and keeping it as a pet?

Do you think city ordinance has the right to determine which animals can be owned?

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Thanks so much for visiting me today. Please visit Amanda and join in her lively discussions. Take care and God bless!

SquirrelQueen June 23, 2011 at 2:06 AM

What a sweet little chipmunk. If Jeannie keeps giving him nuts he will become her friend.

It takes many long years of breeding to domesticate an animal, just because a creature is cute and cuddly as a baby doesn't mean it will be a suitable pet when it gets older.

Yes, the city ordinances are for the protection of both humans and animals.

Icy BC June 23, 2011 at 6:33 AM

I'm not quite sure about chipmunk as a pet! They are cute, but they belong in the wild.

Some time the city has to step in to decide which should be pet, since people like to go off the grid.

LivingSoAbundantly June 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I appreciate this educational post! =D I think it can be dangerous to breed a wild pet as an animal. A lot of risks. However, I don't know if I think the city should be allowed to control that. If someone chooses to get a wild animal as a pet(as long as it doesn't involve harm to others), they should also be willing to accept consequences(getting bitten, etc.). It's a different topic when you bring kids into the picture, though. =D Good questions!

Self Sagacity June 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM

I left a comment this morning, humm.I wondered what happened? I will check back tomorrow. :-)

JamericanSpice June 24, 2011 at 4:15 AM

It is cute. I like watching wild animals.

Oh and I think I saw that about the ape monkey. I watch the animal channel and they talk about pets attacking owners. It's crazy

1. I think wild animals should be allowed to roam. It's what they do. Not be tamed as pets.

2. Yes someone have to put an ordinance or people will run a muck with the kind of animals they want as pets.

♥~Judy~♥ June 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Amanda, perhaps blogger is having issues again... I would have posted it had I gotten it. They don't share well. :-) Some people are short on common sense and someone does have to intervene.

Thanks and God bless.

Hazelmarie Elliott (Mattie) June 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM

The pictures are adorable, Judy. I always love the pictures you post for everyone's enjoyment.

As to those exotic pets? They should be in their natural environment. Their beauty lives and thrives in a natural habitat that allows them the ability to live freely...as was intended. I think their 'wildness' is what attracts others to them. People want to capture and hold onto these creatures of nature, to their detriment.

As always, a great post, Judy. Hope you enjoy your day!

Blessings,
M.

Dave June 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

They have been breeding them as pets here in England for a number of years. Our local pet store sells them. I'm not sure personally whether it is a good thing or not I prefer my cats and dogs. Dave.

ps sorry about putting the link in my last comment it was out of habit as I just use it as my signature.

DoanLegacy June 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Wild animals should be in their natural environment, and I believe it with all my heart.

We need rules to keep animals and people safe.

☆☆Mumsy June 30, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Chipmunks are cute but I'm not sure if we should domesticate them. Going against nature always has consequences!

Self Sagacity June 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

If I can tame a bird I would have it for a pet. I think I can only handle birds or fish. Other creatures from the wild I think they are better off in the wild.
I am not sure about your second question, since all animals could get sick and turn on their masters. Even a house dog. I think if they own wild animals, it should be at their own risk, and not risk the lives of other people. If they can understand that responsibility and be accountable then no the city ordinance shouldn't be the one to make the decision.

CA Johnson July 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM

These are cute pics. I don't think I would want it as a pet though. I would be afraid of what would happen.