Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Spices

I have long had a fascination for spices. Spices do more than enhance the flavor of your food, they enhance your life. They were used long before Bible days. Some spices have more nutrients and antioxidants than food ounce by ounce and cost less than medicine without the side effects. In Biblical days Christians were referred to as the "salt of the earth". The salt referred to was not common table salt or sodium chloride but sea salt.

I was surprised when I came across a book written by Prevention Magazine The Natural Healing Guide  which highly recommended  eight spices, and strangely enough I have written articles on seven out of the eight of those they list. The eight spices they list have many properties which will aid   your family and you in keeping well.  I placed my article links to those particular spices in the body of my article. It is wonderful to know we have healing at our fingertips. :-)

If I have a stomach ache, I know ginger tea will help me feel better. Turmeric has totally removed my arthritis pain, thyme is a wonderful expectorant....

1.) What spices do you find very helpful in keeping you healthy?

2.) What are your favorite recipes requiring spices? I use spices liberally in teas and foods but could always use new ideas to incorporate more spices in my dishes. It's hard to sneak spices into dishes when you live with a salt and pepper kind of guy. :-) Sometimes you have to get really creative and sneaky.

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I hope you will hop on over to Amanda's and join us in our lively conversation. There is much to talk about this week. Take care and God bless.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions.

picture source

Kerri June 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM

This is great - thank you for sharing it! Out of those 8, I use peppermint and thyme the most - I had no idea about thyme's help with breathing difficulties, though - I'll have to try that! I'm not much of a cook - when I think spice I think of garlic, but does that count? Your site looks very interesting; I'm looking forward to exploring it more!

♥~Judy~♥ June 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Most definitely, garlic counts! But is more potent raw. Not many of us do garlic raw. :-) In a laboratory test garlic was tested against several different bacteria and killed 99% of them.

☆☆Mumsy June 30, 2011 at 6:45 AM

I use ginger, lemongrass, garlic, and basil mostly in my cooking. Mint is another favorite! Overall, I love herbs and spices..

LivingSoAbundantly June 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Love the way those spices are held! I love to use a variety of spices in my cooking. Basil is definitely in my weekly routine. Garlic is my number one, though. =D I agree with the others on this. My favorite recipe with both is Chicken Bruschetta--YUM! The recipe is on the back of the Philadelphia Cooking Creme original container. It is so easy and delicious.

Self Sagacity June 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I use peppermint, perilla mint, basil, cilantro.
Cilantro is a medicinal herb. It is great for cooking. I don't like cooking anything without scallions and onions, those are musts.
Judy, most of my recipes has onions and cilantro, lemon grass and ginger.
Thanks for hanging out with us this Thursday.

Luna Miranda June 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM

garlic and ginger are the most common spices we use at home. ginger tea relieves me of heartburn. most of the dishes we cook at home has garlic, ginger, lemongrass, turmeric, peppercorns and laurel. i also use fresh basil, rosemary, tarragon, parsley and cilantro regularly.

Icy BC June 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I use lots of different herbs in my cooking, and drinking mint, chamomile, ginger, and other tea also.

Using natural herbs and spices to stay healthy is my first choice!

Self Sagacity June 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I read your wonderful article and also send it to my email. I am always looking for ways to help with stuffy nose and cough. I wish I could grow those herbs recommended for the cures.

♥~Judy~♥ June 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Amanda, thanks so much. I love alternative medicine and nutrition. It is so much more natural. Why not prevent illness instead of getting sick and treating the symptoms?

I really appreciate everyone's advice and input and will look into incorporating these other spices into my cooking.

Take care and God bless!

SquirrelQueen June 30, 2011 at 10:12 PM

With the exception of turmeric and ginger I have all those spices in my cabinet right now. I also use a lot of onion, garlic and cilantro.

My hubs is also a salt and pepper kind of guy but he like the spices I use as long as they are not too strong of a flavor.

JamericanSpice July 1, 2011 at 3:32 AM

I've heard so many good things about tumeric. My Indian neighbor used it all the itme and if I was in my country, I'd be using it now. The same with ginger!

I use a few spices with my cooking, basil, ginger, rosemary, thyme etc.

DoanLegacy July 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Growing up in VN, we are always using herbs and spices with our foods. I don't think we appreciate their health benefits back then, but now we do.

Turmeric, cilantro, garlic, basil, mint, lemongrass, etc..we use lots of them.

♥~Judy~♥ July 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I have to look into lemongrass. I keep hearing good things about it!

CA Johnson July 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I use different herbs too, but I like to use peppermint the most.