Sunday, July 24, 2011

When it is no longer private...

I grew up in a household where anger erupted constantly. I was always afraid that something would set my father off. Every once in awhile something brings it all rushing back and I am reliving the hurt full feelings. I no longer blame him. I realize that it was never his intention to hurt.

He had a private little hell
Tucked safely in his soul
He really thought he had it
Under his control
Soon it filled up every moment
And its venom filled his soul
Until the private little hell
Had nowhere else to go
It peeked out his windows
It crashed down his door
He became violent,
He yelled and he swore
He hurt the very people
He promised to adore
The private little hell
Was tucked away no more

While anger can be a healthy outlet, anger (like fire) when raging out of control will destroy everyone and everything in its path. If you know someone who has trouble with anger issues there is help out there. I found two very good sites:

It is important, but not easy to understand that the angry person may not want to act like that and may need help to learn how to deal with these emotions. They may be clueless on how to "calm the storm". The anger is not just harmful to those he/she lashes out at but anger causes many health issues for the person who harbors these feelings.

Thanks for your visit today. I pray that you have a healthy and blessed life always! This post linked to Weekend Reflections! Be sure to visit for more reflective shots.

image source for top photo.

Shirley July 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I am saddened to hear of your fears as a child. I like, though, that you added a serene watery photo to this post as it balances the feel of it all.

Icy BC July 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I can relate to this Judy! There were two people in my life that I felt completely breathless..

Beautiful reflection photo!

♥~Judy~♥ July 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Shirley, that's why there is a need for those who counsel and help others to balance their lives. Thanks so much for your visit.

Icy, I wish no one could relate to it, especially a child. Children should never have to live in fear. My heart goes out to all that do/did. You are truly one of them.

Take care and God bless.

'Tsuki July 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Strong words and beautiful picture... Thanks for the sharing.

Self Sagacity July 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM

How fantastic that you had articulated anger this way. I believe that is true of me when I am angry, so why wouldn't it be true of others? Yet, I would never think to forgive someone who does it over and over again like eating, but I can understand an occasional outburst.

SquirrelQueen August 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

I am so sorry you had to grow up this way, I can't even begin to imagine what that would have been like. My parents had the normal arguments but never anything more.