Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Knowledge

You can get too much of a good thing!

Sometimes when I am feeling truly sleep deprived I will pop a melatonin pill. It helps one's biorhythms realign naturally so the body shuts down enough to be sleepy, not just tired.  To learn more about the proper dosing of melatonin read here.

What is Uva-Ursi for?

Then while at my son's and his girl's place I noticed Mari had brought some herbs along with her. She had some uva-ursi, which is an herb I had planned on researching anyway so I stopped putting it off and started in on it. I posted what I found on Chan's new writing site "The Good and Bad on Uva-Ursi" I opened book after book reading all these wonderful attributes of this particular herb and then I stumbled across three books that offered warnings. I love learning about natural remedies but feel the more I learn the more I need to learn. There is no truth in the old saying "What you don't know can't hurt you"! It certainly can.

My two questions are:

1) When you hear about a new supplement or herb do you rush right out and buy it and start taking it or do you research it first? Please tell me you research first. :-)

2) What do you consider the best find you have found as far as supplements or herbs? I have so many that have helped me but if I had to choose it would be turmeric. Turmeric completely removed all of my arthritis pain and I can move freely without a problem.

Thanks so much for visiting me today. Please check Amanda out and join the lively conversation @ Thursday's Two Questions. Take care and God bless!

photo source thanks to Irishviews.com

SquirrelQueen August 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I haven't tried melatonin, I use Valerian root. It works so well.

I research everything before buying especially things like herbs. I want to know the good, bad and ugly sides of anything I put in my body.

I am very fond of Evening Primrose oil. My skin and joints seem healthier when I use take it.

Luna Miranda August 4, 2011 at 2:21 AM

i was prescribed melatonin but it didn't work. i used to buy and take everything the doctors prescribed but i learned my lesson after a doctor gave me a wrong dosage. i did research after that incident. Valerian root works for me, too. i tried Kava-Kava, it made me sleep but i had weird dreams.:p

it's got to be ginger tea. it relieves acid reflux that used to bother me a lot. oh, and lemongrass--as mosquito repellent.:p

Icy BC August 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM

I used to take melatonin but it didn't work for me, so I stopped and I do research before taking anything. I haven't found any herb that makes such a different like turmeric for you.

♥~Judy~♥ August 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Judy, valerian root is good but it should not be taken too many consecutive nights.

Luna, the problem with melatonin is that they sell it at too high a dose. We should be taking lower amounts. When I use it I use a pill splitter.

I am so glad you guys are researching! Take care and God bless!

Rggina August 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I found your post informative..
I do try and research as well as look for good prices. There is so much out there but I'd rather stumble around with herbs and that than perscription drugs. I made the Uva Ursi tea long time ago but am glad to hear about the Tumeric for your arthritis! I quit dairy (just cause it's an irritant for many with arthritis..the pain in my wrist and upper back disappeared after about five nagging years. I'm drinking half an half in my coffee again so it's back? (was using silk c creamer) but not really much else as far as dairy so hmm? I have some bulk tumeric..how much do you take on a daily basis?
OK, soaking in MMS is wonderful!
B (50- 100 mg) w/ garlic
Mag (Calm)powder
Cayenne and started glucosamine chondroitin..(joint vibrance)just some things that have been helpful-
(sorry this was long)

♥~Judy~♥ August 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Regina, do not apologize! Your comment was delightful!

I take 1 500 mg. capsule of turmeric a day. It took perhaps a couple of months to get into my system, but what a difference! My hubby is 9 years old than I am and has knee problems. He could not believe the difference after he started taking it.

I use half n half on my cereal in the morning as I am lactose intolerant and it has no effect on the arthritis; thankfully.

I see you mentioned magnesium. Did you know soaking in a tub with Epsom salt is another way to get magnesium? It is absorbed through the skin!

Ruthi August 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM

i always learn a lot from your tips here. i am not really into taking anything but if there is anything i take they're vitamin supplement and yes, the one for my joint because i started running this year. i am curious about the turmeric though

Self Sagacity August 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM

I thought I had came by. Sorry if you're getting this twice. :-(

I usually research everything. With the internet, there's always more information. I love learning about the natural remedies.
I find mango and perilla mint really work for me. I wish I have more time to read your herb posts. I know I could learn so much. Keep it up, my time to read is on Thursdays Two Questions. Thank you!

lisaschaos August 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I research. The problem is though, sometimes I over research then end up doing nothing. :)