Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankful Thursday ~ Mom's teaching

1. Have you ever witnessed someone's misbehavior and shook your head thinking I know my mother did not raise that person!!??

My mother was a gentle teacher, but we got it when she said it and not only that, she demonstrated her lessons! I never once heard her curse and seldom heard her yell. Her English was impeccable and so were her manners; still are. Mom has had a series of strokes so her language is very limited now. Most of her communication is via a tablet of paper, but her lessons are still fresh in my mind.

2. What behavior do you thank your mother for instilling in you? Don't forget to tell her, Mom's like encouragement too! :-)

Thanks so much for joining me today. Please hop on over to Amanda's and join in the lively conversation already going on at Thursday Two Questions. Take care and God bless!

Poetic Shutterbug November 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Wow, so much of who I am can be attributed to my Mom. She's been gone now for 17 years but not one moment goes by that I don't think of her.

She instilled giving in all of us. Helping people and always having a smile for anyone we met. She gave everything she had to make people happy and I am thankful that I have that same quality.

Whenever I am in a situation I don't know how to handle I always ask myself, What would Mom do and inevitably I come to the perfect conclusion.

I do miss her so much but I know she is always with me.

♥~Judy~♥ November 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Jo, me too! I never cease to thank my mom. She is one of the most giving people I have ever known. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your Mom, but it sounds like she is still with you in so many ways!!

God bless!

SquirrelQueen November 3, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Being a Southern gal it was not only my mother's influence but also my grandmothers and aunts. These fabulous southern ladies taught me manners, the importance of striving to be the best you can be and the confidence to speak up for myself.

All of them are gone now but they are definitely not forgotten.

Becca November 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Great questions!

I, unfortunately, do not have a good relationship with my mother. But I do love my mother in law. I see the way that she raised her children. All the things that she taught them along their path of life and the respect that they show her is something to see. And I love how she taught my husband how to fend for himself, and do things like cook, and iron, and sew. I married an Eagle Scout. Literally. He has a great relationship with his mom.

Cathy Kennedy November 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I have to agree with SquirrelQueen, I had many wonderful influences in my upbringing. Whenever I see kids acting out today, I do shake my head and wonder what's going wrong with the world. I mean, it's not an occasional thing - it's quite frequent. My mother would have busted my backside if I misbehaved like some of these kids do today. So, to my mom and all my lovely relatives thank you for teaching me to be respectful acting at all times.

Self Sagacity November 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Ok, Jo and Judy are lucky people!
1) Yes, always. I am surrounded by children having T, so I am always watching other children.
I have a little discrepancy on who to blame. In most cases that I have seen, I think it is more the kids being the way they are. I think if a kids listens, they will listen to anything you tell them. In some cases, few, I think it is the parents not watching their children...period. I see they are very preoccupied in themselves and those are the parents I would shake my head to.
2) This could be a long answer or short one. I have to think about it a little more. Great question to go again one more time. Smiles.

Icy BC November 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Intriguing post, Judy! Ill manners, disrespectful, and disobeying are some of the things my mom would not tolerate.

Ruthi November 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM

1. Yes. Being a teacher and working with kids, I can just give a deep sigh and say to myself... how can they get away with that kind of attitude with their mom?
2. I am who I am now because of my Mom. I cannot thank her now because she is long gone but when she was still around she knew and I got the chance to thank her and showed how much I really appreciate how I was raised up.

JamericanSpice November 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Um I didn't grow up with my mother. I grew up in an orphanage.

I've seen my 3 half siblings that were raised by her and I know she tried her best, but I sometimes feel maybe it's alright that I didn't grow up with them.

I don't have that 'thing' that I should have with my mother.

Aloha.

☆☆Mumsy November 7, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I am so busy taking care of my mom nowadays that I can't think some time. It's hard to deal with life when nothing goes your way..

Your questions make me pause and think!

CA Johnson November 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM

You brought up some great questions. I am so thankful for my mom. She taught me to be respectful of people and tolerance. If it weren't for her, I don't think I could put up with half of the drama that I have endured over the years. I am not sure what I would have done if she didn't raise me the way she did. I have seen some of my friends end up in jail, but that didn't happen to me.