Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thankful Thursday - Imports

I was in Meijer the other day using a $20. gift certificate I received from my job for earning the title employee of the month. I am honored and truly humbled and appreciative; also the money was burning a hole in my pocket. :-)

I came across this fruit, called Sharon in the exotic fruit section. They were next to the persimmon and both were priced at two for a $1.00 so I selected one of each and took them home to share with hubby. Before eating this fruit, which looks like an orange tomato, I looked it up online. The fruit felt firm and the skin is thicker than a tomato. I was bursting with curiosity, but first I wanted to know more. Last year when I brought home taro root I learned that it should not be eaten raw and can in fact be toxic if not cooked so  after learning that I have learned to be cautious. If you want to know what I learned about sharon fruit you can read here.  We tried persimmon for the first time last year, and often I bring home something new and we try it, after researching first. Some I now buy every time they are on sale, like pummelo. We love this one! BTW, I have articles linked to each, if you are curious.

Do you try new foods when you get a chance?

What foods have you tried that you really like or really don't like? I tried the star fruit a few years ago and got a terrible stomach ache. I don't want to see one now. :-)

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Join the conversation at Amanda's. Thanks for visiting me. Take care, stay healthy, and God bless.

Icy BC December 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

1) I like to try new foods, and if I don't like something, I give it time and try again.

2) Mexican foods seemed to be in disagreement with my stomach, especially with the bean. I can only have Taco, the American version one!

Cathy Kennedy December 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I will only try new foods, if they aren't too exotic. I usually stick with what I'm comfortable with. Boring? Maybe, but that's ok. =D

Cathy Kennedy December 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Self Sagacity December 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I am always for trying new foods. And there isn't too many I don't like. I might not love them...but I can't even think of one that I am not ok with. I love pummelo.

Poetic Shutterbug December 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Judy, great post.

1. I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes, in fact a couple of days before Thanksgiving. So, I am now on a strict diet and had to change my entire food lifestyle. As a result, I am eating much more fruit, different types of fruit and veggies.

I'm trying many different things along with different types of recipes. Although fun learning to cook new dishes, it takes some getting used too.

JamericanSpice December 9, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I do try new foods when I can and with caution, just in case of allergies.

I haven't tried anything new right now, but I can't wait to find something new.

I will have to check for that fruit at the farmers market.

☆☆Mumsy December 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I like persimmon, and I like to try out new foods.

I have not tried Sharon fruit, and I don't think we have it here.

CA Johnson December 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I don't try new food that often because I am a picky eater. There are a lot of things that other people eat that I find nasty. I should change that because I could be missing out on a lot of good things because I don't usually eat new things. My family and friends tease me because there are a lot of things that I don't like to eat.

SquirrelQueen December 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM

I love to try new things and I willing to taste new foods at least once. Even if I don't like it I experienced the taste. I tried star fruit last year and it wasn't bad. But I want to know how the Sharon tasted, was it good?