Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Music

image source

My mother was quite musical. As a child she had voice lessons and also had been taught to play clarinet, piano, and guitar. My sister and I were encouraged by our school to take lessons but our father thought it to be a frivolous pursuit so he told the school that we were not interested.

Mother often sang with us and taught us to harmonize. I found that even the saddest of days could be turned around with a song. I wished I had learned to read notes. When I was in grade school and sent in a poem to Crown Music Company in NY, we received it back set to music and Mom played it. We sang it.

At that moment I felt like great things were possible. Father was a naysayer but Mom was an encourager. She always thought her girls could go anywhere they put their minds to. Isn't a song like that? It encourages and uplifts. It takes people across all lines and unites them in song.

Does music improve your mood?

Do you sing with your family?

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions. Please visit Amanda and see what all the buzz is about.
Thanks for visiting me. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!I hope there is always a song in your heart!

SquirrelQueen January 5, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Too bad your father discouraged your musical pursuits. Music is an important part of the learning process for children.

I love music and it always improves my mood.

If you could hear me sing Judy you would not have to ask. I couldn't carry a tune even in the proverbial bucket.

Icy BC January 5, 2012 at 6:57 AM

1) Music does improved my moods or changed them depending on what I hear at the moment.

2) I used to sing to my children when they were little. They all take music as selective in school, and learn instruments.

Self Sagacity January 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Music is a great way to improve my moods. Lately it has turned into a need for creativity as well.
We sing all the time. We sing like fools together whatever the song may be.
My immediate family is pretty great people and I like being with them. :-)
Happy New Year, in case I haven't wish you that yet.

JamericanSpice January 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Your mom sounds wonderful! She was a good balance for the family.

I love music and I wish I could sing and write music and musical notes.

I often make up my own songs and sing them,, but then I forget the lyrics after awhile.

I always sing with my kids. We play music all the time and sing and dance together.

I am like your mother....my husband is quiet.

Judy SheldonWalker January 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Judy, if you sing with joy, it's beautiful. :-)

Icy, I am glad you used to sing with the kids. Keep it up We all need a song in our heart. lol I deleted your duplicate comment and do not know how to remove your name. Sorry.

Amanda, tha't great!

Collette, did I get the right amount of "l"s and "t"s. Double letters confuse me sometimes. Mom is great. I always say she is a saint. I am so blessed to have her. Dad is gone, but he was ...well, Dad. I am so glad you are the way you are with your children. It will truly bless their livesn (and yours).

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and blessed new year.

CA Johnson January 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I love listening to music. It always makes me feel better. I am no singer, but I love singing to the radio. It helps me when I am feeling down.