Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Commitment

1) Have you ever been inspired to take on a challenge?

Our minister challenged us to read through the Bible one chapter at a time and then write at least one sentence about that chapter. This would give us our own personal summary of the Bible after we completed it. Sounds simple right? After posting on my blogs from time to time I noticed a feature that allowed one to make a book of their blog so my wandering mind thought that if I placed my Bible summaries on a blog I could publish it when finished. Right? I started off dedicated, committed and did not miss a day but soon my hectic life and family began to squeeze all the minutes out of my days and I got behind; way behind!

2) How do you stay dedicated to your task?

I am so ashamed to say I have not posted in a couple of weeks. I can make tons of excuses, but guilt is eating me up as I want to keep my commitment. I often skip meals and sleep now trying hard to stay up; so there has to be something else I can shift to fit it back in.  I have visited all three new grand babies this week and now Chris and Mari have given me the wonderful news that they are going to have their first baby too. I am planning the baby shower now. It would be wonderful if I could get this Chapter Challenge finished in time for my grands to read. :-) What I find to be the most time consuming in publishing the posts is locating the right illustrations for each chapter.

Thanks so much for your visit. You are truly a treasured part of my day and life. Take care, stay healthy and God bless. This post linked to Thursday two questions. Thanks Amanda for a great meme!!

betchai February 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Good luck Judy, I pray you will be able to finish your challenge, that is a good one. Yes, sometimes, we thought it is so easy, but then, we fall behind, until we find out we are soooo behind, it happens to me a lot of the times :(

I have not taken any long term challenge yet maybe because I am afraid of not making it or not keeping my commitment. However, I have had several long term research works then that needed so much thinking and time alone working, when I find myself lagging behind, I would go up the mountains and spend several days there of silence to be able to work my brains properly :(

Poetic Shutterbug February 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Judy I know you will complete your challenge.

I'm the type of person that when I take on a challenge or project I have to see it through to completion and focus on nothing else. I guess you could say I am obsessed with whatever it is I am doing. Haven't taken on any challenges for a while and it's nice to have the freedom to just relax.

Dominique Goh February 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I have taken on many challenges these few months.. I pop by the FB accountability group each morning so that it is easier for me to keep on track even though I don't really carry out the challenges 100%..say more like 60-%-70% of it esp the bible reading and weight loss exercise one that I am on.

SquirrelQueen February 23, 2012 at 3:59 AM

I love a good challenge but lately I have tried to keep any new activity simple and short term. There are so many things I would like to do with my blog but life keeps getting in the way.

If I am really concentrating on a task I will try to set aside a little time each day just for that task. I mark it on my calendar and try to stick to the time frame.

Icy BC February 23, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I don't know how you do it with so little time for yourself, but you're trying, and that counts in my book.

I'm very weary about taking on challenge nowadays, for fear that I won't have time or energy to follow it.

Have a great day!

Self Sagacity February 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Ok- I am warning you this comment will be a long one, because I have a lot to say. Smiles.
I love that you've started a blog with the summarized, your versions, feelings on the bible chapters! Awesome! I would love to do that too because I want to get intouch with my religion, and be involved in my own ways, and that is the way that makes the most sense to me because, I think that it starts from inside, I have to heal about the dedication first. When I was young, it was always forced on me. I am now just trying to live and let the faith catch up to me naturally. However, I can't do every single chapter...yup, and probably not consistently either, so I can't commit to what you have started for myself. But if you'd like, I have an idea: you could ask your friend writers that are religious too, to contribute now and then or which ever chapter they happen to want to talk about. You could let them pick or choose a few in the order and let them pick. That way you are not doing every single one, taking a break helps to rejuvenate your desires and also gives you a fresh look on things.
The draw back is that it won't be all your thoughts, but I think you have a great set of friends who seemed to have the same morals and discipline, therefore, it might be somewhat different, but might add some great flavors to your ebook. Good luck in this subject.

Self Sagacity February 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM

#2 comment about time and inspiration. It isn't something new, but it is a classic and it works everytime.
Blogging has taken a lot out of me, and my life. But I can't let it go just yet, I missed it when I am not on. I can only speak to what inspires me about Blogging, as now that I have a full time job, it is the last thing I want to do after a long day. HOWEVER, I supposed I really love writing and sharing my two cents. So to me, it is my soul food. I make time for it, because it makes me feel good. More than I even want to buy a pretty nice blouse or earings. Well, jewelry is close, hehe. But that is how I find inspiration, because I truely love it, and it makes sense to me. So along the same lines as: find something that you love to do and it won't feel like work...it is so very true. Even at 2/3/4m in the morning, I wouldn't mind it if I could stay up to write. smiles

Self Sagacity February 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Comment #3- last one I promise about your family and your dedication. What did I say in SelfSagacity in the about me section? My priority is my family. Looks like yours is too. You've provided for your family such a loving environment. Through your stories, I kept saying to myself, this woman is incredible. How do you do it? With that many kids, grand kids, babies, oh my god. So I just wanted to applaud you for your generosity with your time for your children, and grand kids. They are so very lucky!

Jim February 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Thank you Judy for these thoughts. You should not put yourself on a guilt trip trying to do everthing.

I would say put a priority and mostly then go to first things first. Might be The Lord, family, work, self, pets, housekeeping, play (includes some of the above, blogging fits in here someplace).

And remember you don't have to do everything just right and fully. They say all work and no play makes Judy a dull girl?

The questsions:
1. Yes, I have been inspired to do a lot of things but a very many of them do not get completed. I am not Superman!
2. When things get really tight I make a list that I believe is possible to fulfill. Again I prioritize and start off. I revise as needed.

Anyway, there is no way a working person or a parent of young children can ever do all they want.
That kind of goes for us older retired people, it now takes longer to do the things we should do.

Anne Lyken-Garner February 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I find it difficult too, Judy. You're not alone. When you have other people to worry about you have to prioritise things because you'll never have the time to do all you have to do. Don't feel bad about it. We all do the same thing.

JamericanSpice February 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Wow. Good luck with the baby shower and I hope you get some time again to start writing. Do you think having a digital recorder would help you and then you can write it later?

1. Yes I've taken on challenges before.

2. I've finished some and failed...not finished some. Sometimes it's the expectation of others that keep me going or my own push not to fail.

Happy weekend! And congrats!

CA Johnson February 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I hope you complete your challenge even though I know you will. :) Congratulations on the new addition to your family.