Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Advice

Baby gifts

The baby shower was loads of fun. The first thing we did after being seated was to pass around a notebook and I asked everyone to think of their best parenting advice for the new parents.

Pictured above is part of the gift my youngest daughter, Ruby gave to her youngest brother and his new wife. We gave from the bottom of our hearts, but we must also share our wisdom. Raising a new baby is such a wonderful blessing, but also an awesome responsibility.

Amanda, I am taking advantage of your graciousness in hosting Thursday Two Questions to ask

1) if you remember the first dilemma you had as a new parent and (2) how you solved it! We all were new once and babies don't come with manuals. :-) Both my son and his new wife have been around a lot of babies but their own baby 24/7 is just a bit different.

Thanks so much for visiting me today. Take care, stay healthy, and God bless!

☆☆Mumsy April 5, 2012 at 6:17 AM

1) My first dilemma was the baby crying, and I was advice to let him cry, not picking him for fear of spoiling him. If he was fed and changed, there were no reason to cuddle or pick him up.

2) After a couple of days not being able to pick him up and soothe him, I went with my instinct and just him up to love him and being with him.

This would be my advice: go with your instinct...Love with all your heart!

momto8 April 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

love all of these ideas!! sounds like a great job!!

Self Sagacity April 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My very first dilema was my first born was breached, I was shocked and didn't know what to think. The doc said he will turn in time. Until this day, I still didn't know if he really was! I wish I was smarter, to ask to see an ultrasound - or demand to see an ultrasound. My first baby paved the way for the rest of the births I had. I ended-up with three c-sections and never had the V-birth.

Self Sagacity April 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM

My very first dilema was my first baby was breached, I was shocked and didn't know what to think. The doc said he will turn in time. Until this day, I still didn't know if he really was!

I guess, I will never get over the fact that I was very naive, and we didnt' have the internet, nor information on how to deal with your doctors...I would say, the internet is like a 24hour teacher, learn as much as you can about the issues you have so that you can be informed and make better decissions. None of my kids go by the book either...if their is a specific subject that they can't share - try the internet- it can be intimate and very private too.

Thanks for linking / playing this week.

JamericanSpice April 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

1. My first dilemna...
Fever I think. I wasn't sure what was too high and I was told that going to the doc was a waste of time for most fevers.

I tried everything, bathing, fanning, as much water and nursing as possible and then I went to the doctor.

She prescribed tylenol. I didn't know kids that young could have it.

So I think it's best to follow your gut and not what everyone else has said or experienced because it's all different for each of us.

JamericanSpice April 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Glad the shower turned out great. Love the notebook idea.

Happy Easter!

Blogger Broadcast April 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My first baby dilemma was the baby don't want to be breast fed. He did well with the bottle, but when it came to the breast, he would stop. At first I felt bad, and kept feeling bad until I don't even think about it anymore.
Always worried that he isn't as smart or immune to virus as they say, but he turned out to win a four year scholarship, going to the best school.
He is a great kid.

Jim April 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM

More nice questions this week! Thank you.

(1) if you remember the first dilemma you had as a new parent.
Our first time to be a new parent we had twins. We were very thankful for the 'twin plan' most merchants had for funiture, baby clothes, etc, in those days. The second was free if we had twins (we did).

(2) how you solved it!
In those days we had a manual, Dr. Spock. We raised four neat kids from that manual. The fifth? Dr. Spock had fallen from grace and we just winged it.

Jim's Thursday Two Questions

Judy SheldonWalker May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Mumsy, you are absolutely right. I remember being told that and after awhile it just wasn't working for me, so I picked my son up.