Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Child and a Horse

A child and a Horse

Some of my fondest memories are of riding one of my best friends horses.  She lived on a ranch and had some gentle horses we were allowed to ride, so I would spend the week end on occasion and one of our activities always involved horse back riding. Horses need the exercise, and love the attention.  She was very much into horses having coats for horseback riding and filling a sketch book with her drawings of  horses in her spare time. She was quite the equestrian.

There is nothing like riding horseback in the country enjoying the nature sights with the wind blowing through your hair.  For a child it is the perfect vantage place allowing you to see so much more than what you could see on foot.  My friend taught me how to lead and direct the horse by laying the reins gently on one side of the neck to turn that direction and on the other side for the opposite direction. You would pull back on the reins to stop the horse. A gentle touch with your foot in the horse's side and the words "giddy up" would get you moving at a faster trot.

I still have a very soft spot in my heart for horses but haven't had the opportunity to ride since I was a child. I promised my children when we left New York and moved to my home state of Michigan that they would get to ride horseback, but the horse owners we have come in contact with here do not allow people to ride their horses, so I have decided to contact US Para-Equestrian Association to see if there are any places that allow one to pay to ride a horse. By the way  they have showcoats on sale. I take great stock in my promises and would love to take my children on their long awaited horseback ride.

This post linked to Two Questions Thursday by Amanda.

My questions to you today are:

1. Do you have fond memories of an activity you enjoyed as a child that you would like to share with your children and haven't?

2. Why not? (You don't have to answer this one.) :-)

Thank you for your visit today. Take care, God bless and stay healthy!

SquirrelQueen May 31, 2012 at 3:49 AM

I am glad you had happy experiences with horses as a child Judy. I did not and horses still scare me, one of the few animals I can say that about.

My fondest memories from childhood come from time spent in the out of doors enjoying nature. I only have one step daughter and when she was younger we did spend time in nature.

Icy BC May 31, 2012 at 4:06 AM

My fondest memory was spending evenings on the shore by the ocean, watching the fishing boats light up. That's something I haven't a chance to do with my kids.

Why? We don't live anywhere near the ocean, and now two of my kids have flew away from the nest.

Self Sagacity May 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yes, I have memories of me playing hopscotch on my front porch. T is too young now, but I will be too old when she really knows how to play. We tried a couple of times and she is still too young to be that patient to play a real game - which we had to work towards the top. Yet, this reminds me that I should try again soon before my body isn't capable anymore.

Cathy Kennedy May 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The things I enjoyed as a child, I believe for the most part I've shared with our own kiddoes. I think it's important to bring forth pieces of our own childhood into our children's lives. It builds a stronger bond and helps one to enjoy looking back in time.

⊱↫PreciousKD↬⊰ May 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I can't recall anything specific at the moment, and right now, I am trying to do everything with my little boy whenever I can.

Judy SheldonWalker May 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I am reading your comments and am warmed by the wonderful caring parents that all of you are. Our time with our children is so precious and I feel that all of you have taken every available opportunity to enjoy it with them.

JamericanSpice May 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Oh how I love horses! I only got to ride once. I wish so much that I'll get to again and that my children will too.

1. Fond memories: As a child..not really.

2. It was not a good time in my life as a child.

I love that photo up there of the little child with the horse! I love it!

Judy SheldonWalker May 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Colette, I am sure that you will see to it that the memories of your children will be treasures they can store up and in that way you will appreciate it all the more. Do we know what we have until we lose it? You will gain it back through them and hold it even more dear. Hugs and blessings!