Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chemicals, carcinogens and cancer...oh my!

Chemicals in a cigarette

I came from a nonsmoking household.

I have never smoked and thankfully my parents never did either. My first sleep over with a non- relative was a friend whose parents both smoked. I had never come in contact with cigarette smoke and it had a huge impact on me. I had a pounding head ache and vomited my entire week end. We thought I had the flu until I became well within hours of returning home, and had a similar experience each and every time I was exposed to cigarette smoke. This was the beginning of my many unpleasant experiences with cigarette smoke.

I am fortunate to have allergies.

Our body creates an allergic reaction to help protect us from things it recognizes as harmful to us. It is part of our immune system. I didn’t need research studies and the surgeon general’s warning labels to make me aware of the dangers of cigarette smoke, but some people are not as fortunate as I am. Their body does not give them these signals. Perhaps their signal will come when one day they are diagnosed with cancer or emphysema or one of their loved ones are because of being exposed to the carcinogens which were released from their smoking.

Each year there are four million fatalities related to cigarette/cigar smoking.

Smoking depletes our bodies of necessary nutrition, like vitamin C needed to keep us healthy while (smoking) and bombards us with many toxic carcinogens which are frightening alone, but deadly when combined.There are tools everywhere now to help quit smoking and you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to give it a try. If you can't cut it out, at least cut down until you are able to cut it out altogether.

This post is linked to ABC Wednesday. Your visit is so appreciated. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!

Thanks for the lend of the photo from Air.

Meryl July 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I am like you - allergies, non smoker. This is a great post! Have a great week.

photowannabe July 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Well said.
It's amazing what we humans put in our bodies.
I'm glad I live and have lived in a smoke free home.

Wanda July 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Judy, important information. I have never smoked, and my father would go outside to have a "smoke", and died at 57 from cancer. My husbands brother, smoked from age 15 and died at 75 with lung cancer....there is no good thing about that is there!

Thanks for a good article.

Roger Owen Green July 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I could fill your column with my LOATHING of cigarettes. My father smoked, and I had to go to the corner store and buy his damn Winstons...

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Judy SheldonWalker July 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Meryl, I am grateful for this allergy but many think I am making it up!

Photowannabe, so am I.

Wanda, no, none that I have found!

Roger, I am so sorry. It's unfortunate that some people truly seem to be so immune to what they inflict on others. I am grateful that you do not smoke though.

Blessings, Judy

Luna Miranda July 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM

great post! i was just on the phone chatting with a girlfriend and i urged her to quit smoking for the th time. i came from a family of smokers, both sides. i started smoking at 18 and was able to finally quit about 10 years ago. have allergies, too, had nasal surgery when i was 28; migraines, chest pain caused me a lot of days away from work and things i enjoy. i'm so proud of myself to finally able to quit.

C is for...

Leslie: July 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM

My late husband smoked like a chimney and even when we found out our youngest was allergic, he couldn't stop! She would get terrible nosebleeds! Thank you for speaking out against this vile habit.

Leslie
abcw team

betchai August 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM

oh yes, you are so right Judy, sadly not everybody are allergic to smoke, and those others who aren't kind of over do their smoking and i hope they will give our air a better breathing space.

i too grew up in a non-smoking family (mother, father and 4 brothers ), but i had an uncle who is a smoker, he is still living very strong right now, has never been hospitalized, etc, at close to 70! we told him life is not fair, while he is probably good in breathing out all the toxins, but the people near him when he smokes don't know how to filter the toxins thus they are the ones inhaling. i love my uncle though, he is very kind, but our wishes for him then and up to now is he quit smoking.

i do understand how others think you are making up your allergic reaction to smoke, i had several encounter with teachers who made fun of me thinking that i was making up my migraine attacks, when i was younger, i had more bouts of migraine that would almost cripple me from terrible pain, i vomit, etc, and only to hear teachers when i get back to school if i was really sick since it was ONLY a headache.

Annmarie Pipa August 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

with all this knowledge at our fingertips...how and why could young people start smoking?!!

Icy BC August 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Many smokers know that it is bad for them, but it's a disease, and they need to deal with it from the root..

Fantastic post, Judy!

chubskulit August 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

My BIL died from cancer, he did not smoke but chewed tobacco.

Cher August 2, 2012 at 2:14 AM

i just supported a run for cancer. though hubby and I don't smoke, i am still very scared of the big C.

Black Jack's Carol August 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I can't thank you enough for writing this. Like Roger, I could fill your column. Just last evening, Bill and I finally resorted to silent discomfort as we feared for our safety after a tirade from someone beside us at an outdoor event when we asked him to either move or put out his cigarette. We had arrived early, picked out our spot for best viewing, and then the inconsiderate fellow lit up and continued to chain smoke until he ran out of cigarettes. Then, he begged everyone around him until he found another smoker, and paid him $2 a cigarette so that he could continue. Apart from the health risk, the smell is truly obnoxious. Sorry to rant. Thank you again for posting.

ChrisJ August 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

My mother chain smoked until she was in her 60's or more. She lived until she was 88. But oh how I hated that cigarette smoke in my face! Never was even tempted to smoke. A friend of mine also chain smoked. She was the same age as me, but I have out-lived her by 30 years! If you need more convincing evidence of harm from smoking, check how many doctors you know who smoke!

Mumsy August 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

That poster is really a home run hit! It's so terrible that cigarettes are easily found every where, just like Coca Cola. They're so bad for you, but that is why people are addicted to them :-(

Judy SheldonWalker August 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I have worked with a large number of physicians and only knew one who smoked and he smoked a pipe on occasion. He was a heavy smoker before going into the medical field but dropped cigarettes for a pipe which he openly admitted was harmful, but not as bad.

The tobacco industry created a monster. I feel so bad for people who are smokers, but also for those of who don't and have to smell it.

I thank those of you who commented and also am touched by those of you who were hurt by this issue...

Blessings!