Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Logic

Black cat

Passed down from one generation to the next are many superstitions. Some of them we accept simply because we are told they are true, others logic takes over and we begin to question their validity.  Merriam's Websters defines a superstition as "a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation." I have gathered only a few superstitions you may have heard, as there are many, many!! Here are a few:

1. A black cat crossing your path means bad luck.

2. Finding a four leaf clover means you will have good luck

3. Wearing red to someone's funeral is an indication that you may be responsible for their death

4. If someone sweeps your feet with a broom it may ruin your chance of getting married.

1.  Is there a superstition you believe in?

2. Why?

This post linked to Two Question Thursday. Visit Amanda to find out what all the chatter is about. Thanks so much for your visit. Take care, God bless and stay healthy!!

Self Sagacity July 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I do have a few that I believe in. Just gentle stuff- I don't want to believe any that has to do with death...I simply don't allow myself to go that far.
I believe in buying something new in pairs, never break glass at a wedding...
I definitely have heard of the ones you posted here.

Happy fourth of July! Thanks for joining me everyweek buddy.

SquirrelQueen July 5, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Black kitties get such a bad rap. If they were really unlucky I would be in trouble as I have two of them.

Nope, I don't believe in any superstitions although I have been known to search for four leaf clovers just for fun.

I think all superstitions are based on "old wives tales" (why do we never heard of old husband's tales?). When people didn't understand something they made up an explanation.

Cathy Kennedy July 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Nope I'm not supersticious. Bad luck, good luck there is really no such thing. Of course, we all fall to bad and good fortune, but this is part of our destiny as life unfolds for whatever reasons in those directions.

Clytie July 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

How about the huge superstition that the number 13 is bad luck? I never understood that one.

P.S. Your beautiful wood sorrel (with hearts!) is featured on this week's "Guest Heart Thursday"!

clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

Icy BC July 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I don't believe about the black cat, or four leaves clover. It's not true in our case.

I don't think I have any superstitious that I believe in. There are times when I think coincident might play a bigger part in the grand scheme of things.

Self Sagacity July 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

BTW- that cat has the longest body from the photo. Smiles.

JamericanSpice July 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I am not superstitious. Usually when I hear about them, I want to try and see what happens :)

That's why when I was a kid and watched candy man. i went in the mirror and said it three times :)

But I do believe in getting what you give.

Happy Friday!

betchai July 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

i am not familiar with the superstitions you shared here, i guess we have different superstitions from different countries. right now, i do not have any superstitions believe in, but I do get a laugh whenever I remember the superstition told me then by my elders, like:
1. if you eat chicken wings, you will become a witch and fly! HaH! I found out it is not true because I saw my loving lola who told me that happily ate chicken wings (hiding from us). chicken wings become one of my favorite part of the chicken.
2. If you cut your nails in the evening, it is bad luck. I guess, it was applicable before when there was no electricity, and the bad luck is cutting your nails in dim light you may end up cutting some skin.
.....and many more, but I will stop otherwise, it's more than a blog post :)

Linda O'Connell July 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

That is a big kitty! Our minds can certainly create scenarios. It's been a while since I've visited your blog. Enjoyed it. Stop by mine http;//lindaoconnell.blogspot.com

⊱↫PreciousKD↬⊰ July 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I don't see your questions on the page, but judging from the comments above, I can say that I am not superstitious, and I have heard of the things on your list before.

Wearing red to the funeral is just plain odd to me!

SquirrelQueen July 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Hi Judy, I have tried to get to your "What Season are You" post. Neither of the links on Amanda's page work. I even tried from my reading list but I still get "page doesn't exist". I also noticed it doesn't show up on your blog archive.