Thursday, July 12, 2012

What Season are you?

Orange skies, chicory and Rose of Sharon

During a very difficult time in my life, when I hit my 30th birthday and also my papers showing my divorce had finalized, my mother sent me a book called Color Me Beautiful. My first marriage was hard for my three children and I. My husband, their father was gone more than he was home. In heated arguments I would accuse him of being married to the street, not me. Gambling and drinking was his first love and we fell by the wayside. It took me all the courage I could muster to give him an ultimatum, either go for counseling or I was getting a divorce.

I beat myself up over the fact that I was not more important to my husband than his "habits". I cried for the kids and I. I called my mother long distance from NYC to Michigan and told her my children would never have a father and I would never be happily married. I felt so unloved and undesirable, and my mom in her desire to help tried to boost my ego. Moms are so loving. They always see their child in the best light.

If you get a chance, check out this book. It divides people into four color groups. Mine is summer. So as I took pictures and put them together to post on RedGage, it dawned on me, this is my color palette. The colors of your season will bring a glow to your cheeks and help you to look your very best.

1. Have you ever noticed that certain colors cause your complexion to look washed out and make you look tired?

2. What are your best colors?

Dominique@Dominique's Desk July 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Glad to hear that you are moving on and all the best for you and your kids.

For me I think I am more of a spring color person.. I like bright cheery pastels.

Mumsy July 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM

I am not sure what season will describe me best. I like all colors, but they don't always agree with me.

JamericanSpice July 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I'm sorry for your heartbreak, but I'm glad it made you stronger and also that you had a mom that loves you and helped you.

I just checked out this book on B&N and ordered the sample and added it to my wishlist.

1. I'm not sure, but I noticed that there are colors that I simply cannot feel comfortable in.

2. Red, Gold, Purple, Emerald Green :)

Happy weekend.

SquirrelQueen July 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I remember that book but I never got around to reading it. It sounds like it really helped you get through this tough time in your life Judy.

Most pastels give me that washed out look. My best colors are deep greens, reds with a blueish cast and purple. In other words vibrant colors are best for me.

Self Sagacity July 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I am finally able to see your post! The best posts for my blog have always been the true-life stories and how we've reflected upon them now as we've moved on. That said, your post today really got me tuned-in. Your mom, and most of us who are moms are that way about our children. My mother is the opposite. Period.
To be in a miserable relationship is as bad as being abused again and again, mentally and physical exhausted. Glad you were able to cut your losses and move forward.
1) I think the colors that I look best on have changed from time to time. Lately, it has been black.
2) Other shades include medium purple, and Turquois.

betchai July 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

i saw this in my blogger updates before but each time i click it says not available, glad to see this now.

glad you were able to get out from the relationship and able to move on.my mom was like your mom too, very understanding, loving and supportive.

i love navy blue but each time i wear it it seems i look tired and haggard. colors that suit me well are yellow, pink, orange, is that summer?