Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Thankful Thursday - Smart Phones

I am not a techno geek. In fact I am far from it, but when baby boy decided to upgrade his cell phone he offered to sell me his Android for a fraction of what it would have cost new. Being he was newly married, I considered it more to help him than to help me. My oldest son also convinced me to buy it. He told me I would love the phone. We had a discussion on the health benefits of a product and he spoke into his and it answered him; really! Wow. I was impressed.

I stopped at the gas station this week end and was extremely tired but had loads to do. After all I "slept" over at the kids and watched my grand baby the night before. I had so much to do and falling asleep in front of my lap top was not an option so I broke my own rule and filled a 32 ounce cup with a fountain pop. Pop is so unhealthy, so forgive me, and it won't happen again (for a long long time anyway). :-) There was a big sign that said $.89, which was the deciding factor in my internal argument, that and that I so seldom indulge.

I went to the check out to pay for my "gas" for the car and for me. When she asked for more than what I had counted out, I questioned her mentioning the ad and she informed me that there was a coupon we had to present using our smart phone.  I could see that she understood my bewilderment when she asked "May I?" and then she took my cell and downloaded the coupon and scanned it at the register. I got my pop for free!! She then told me that there are at least 4 coupons and most for a dollar each month that can be scanned and used at PS Food mart.

Maybe the pop regenerated me, or maybe the savings...but then I began to wonder if I could scan coupons at the register for this store where else could I? My mind was working overtime and I have not had the free time to research.

This post linked to Thursday Two Questions

1. Do you own a smart phone?
2. What do you like best about it?

Thank you so much for your visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless!!

Thanks for the loan of images from :

betchai August 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM

yes, I do earn a smart phone, and I am pleased to learn from you we could get some coupons there.

I love it for the many conveniences it bring me. I love the tide apps ( where I can check the surf and tide), because it allows us to go to the beach at the right time where we could enjoy best. I love the siri, where I could ask for places of need when necessary. I seldom go to the bank since everything is electronically these days, but sometimes, I do get checks, instead of going to the bank to deposit, i deposit through my smart phone. it is also my point and shoot these days. there are more, but i am afraid if i keep on adding, my comment would be longer than your post or maybe is it now? sorry. :)

Judy SheldonWalker August 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Betchai, leave as long a comment as you want!! :-) I want to know all I can about my cell and appreciate your input. Blessings!!

SquirrelQueen August 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Oh yes, I love my Android phone!

It is great for coupons as you discovered. No more having to print and them remembering to pick them up.
I also do my grocery and to do lists on my phone. It it better than having to remember the list. When I think of something I need to do or pick up I pull up the app and tell my phone to add it to the list. The calendar is great too, it will give me a reminder just before an appointment or event.
I can check all of my email accounts, my blogs, the weather and the news. No more being bored standing in line.
One of my favorites is if I'm in a store and see something I am considering buying. I can go online and look it up to check prices.
Google Maps is also great. If I'm looking for an address I just pull up maps, say the address and there is the map.
On my phone texting is so easy since it has speech to text.
I also have a Kindle app on my phone and it is very easy to read.
The list goes on and on!

And once in awhile I actually make a phone call!

Can you tell that smart phone users love their phones?

Self Sagacity August 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

1) I do own a smart phone. I had the Android, but after it went swimming with Trinity I got an iphone to replace. I LOVE THEM.
2) I am directionally challenged, or overly distracted. Having the navigation helps me when I do not feel like thinking.
I think your example is really a wonderful android experience to share...The phone is good if you know how to use it to your advantage, just like every technology tool out there, if you have needs that can be fulfilled by the tools, then why not take advantage of them, we only live once.
First, I love the clerk at PS Food Mart! She is smart and helpful, and unselfish. Please give her a thumbs up for me next time you see her. Now for my complaint: I despise clerks that are so illiterate, especially when they do not even know about the store's promotions. Worst yet, they give the customers a hard time for using coupons or trying to save $. They acted like they own the store, and the money. They are not being helpful, as a matter of fact, instead of the treatment you received from PS Food Mart, they will do everything in their power to refuse the discount or coupon... Ok, I am done with my vent now. LOL. Have a great weekend.

Dominique@Dominique's Desk August 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I do own one.. love the benefits like being able to download educational apps to occupy the kids on the go, check my FB/emails etc.

Icy BC August 30, 2012 at 4:55 AM

1) I do have an android phone, but I don't use it for anything other than texting, and making calls.

2) When I am on the go though, I do check email sometimes just to make sure I'm not missing any important ones..

missmeggy August 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM

1. I do use a smartphone. I'm using an iPhone
2. What I love about a smartphone is that, with the apps you can easily download from the app store, everything becomes easy. You can download dictionaries, cookbooks, games and the diff websites that are designed for a smartphone so it will be easier to use. Also, since I usually travel, it's helpful as it gives the direction from one place to another.

dropping by from Thursday Two Questions :)

JamericanSpice August 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I love that!
I bet the savings energized you more :)

I don't have a smartphone but I'd like one. I just wont hope for one because I don't want to be disappointed like the last time I did.

And it's simply not in our budget.

Judy SheldonWalker August 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Colette, I hope it works out for you. I love mine and never knew how much I would. To think they had to talk me into it!!