Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Thankful Thursday - God's Changes

I found this picture on Facebook. I could add a few other things God changes such as our babies, ugly ducks into swans, and my hair to gray. :-)

Icy BC mentioned on her post tonight about some of the frustrating things that are continually changing in the cyber world and I have to agree with her. When the time we set aside to perform a task "changes" at the drop of a hat, we cannot help to be annoyed so why  am I complaining about changes and yet I have titled the post Thankful Thursday - God's changes?

God changes us in amazing ways. We can be dead set against doing something or going somewhere but God can set our feet on the right path and make the circumstances perfect for His plan. Sometimes as something triggers my memories and I remember days gone by I wonder how I survived some of the things that happened but know it was by the grace of God.

I didn't want to join the army at 18. My father told me when I came home from my high school graduation that I had to leave home. He announced that his job was done. He had allowed me to complete high school, a luxury he had not been allowed, so Mom took me to the Army where I met with a recruiter and enlisted. I was terrified. This was not my choice. I grew up in a very small town and had so little experience.

Turn the clock 6 months forward. My aunt was visiting to attend grandma's funeral and passed out cold in the bathroom on the floor. I using CPR (something I learned while in the military) revived her. I had been home on military leave.

Even more years later my baby boy convulsed and turned blue in my arms. His eyes rolled back into his head and his little body turned stiff. I quickly gave him infant CPR. I remembered it from basic training. He began to get his color back and breathe on his own, but I still took him to the hospital. This was his first of many febrile seizures. I apologize for doubting that God knows what He is doing. He has definitely proven Himself over and over. Man's changes are frustrating, God's are empowering and miraculous. The difference is in who is making the changes. :-)

1.) Can you think of a change that you fought but now are happy with?

2. ) Does thinking about these help you build your faith?

> I read about a woman once who was cursing cause she missed the light and had to wait, but seconds later saw a oncoming semi careen out of control through the red light directly into the path she would have been in. A wasted minute means very little compared to a saved life.

Thanks so much Amanda, for allowing us this opportunity to chat. Thank you for your visit. Take care, God bless and stay healthy.

This post linked to Two Question Thursday!

betchai October 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I so love the story you shared, Judy, indeed, for everything, there is a beautiful purpose, and you lived it. Joining the military really has served you well.
1. yes, when my relationship with my ex did not go well, i was still trying hard to fight for it, but now, so thankful that I eventually let go, could not be any happier, so love my life now. :) and yes, thinking about it I can't help but be amazed and thankful at how clever our God is in planning for our lives.

Icy BC October 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM

The biggest change for me was after the divorce, with three kids and no job, I still don't know how I did it, but we got through.

My relationship with God is on and off. Sometimes, too much frustration, worries, and obstacle drain my faith, but I always fought to come back..

Judy SheldonWalker October 3, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Betchai,

So glad that you are happy now. We are serving a loving and wise God.

Icy, divorce is horrendous but would be worse if we "divorced" God. I will pray for you. Turning to Him stabilizes me.

Blessings!

JamericanSpice October 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. That's an amazing story of how God knows what's best for our future, especially when we just can't see it.

And remember that verse...in Romans I think. What others meant for harm, God will use for good for you. Or something like that.

NOw I have to find that verse :)

1. I fought becoming a Christian as a child, teen, etc.
But God has always wanted me. I think he knew I wouldn't be able to make through many things in my life. He is still fighting for me now. And I am his.

2. Thinking about all the things God has rescued me from, big and small, does give my faith firm foundation.

*HUG*
Have a good day.

Self Sagacity October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I am so glad you could look back and love what you "had to do". It is pretty amazing with all the scary things that went on in our lives, god knows when to stop them.
There are many things that I wondered why they happened to me, including my Benz wrecking a couple of weeks ago. But months from now, I will be able to see god's will clearer. Each and every time SO and I look back on our lives, we realize everything happened for a reason, and true that god never give you more than you can handle. when you're in the situation, the cross might seemed enormous, but once it passed, it is amazing that indeed it was for the better, and for better paths that happen in their place.

Annmarie Pipa October 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

suppose this is why spiritual directors advise keeping a journal...so when we look back in life at all of our doubts and fears and uncertianities we can see Gods hand working through all of it.

kulasa October 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I am glad I passed by here today because my heart was touched beyond words with your story and the stories of our other blogging friends :-) I am still in fact teary eyed and marvelling at the goodness of God. Like you, I didn't get the chance to choose my own career path. My parents decided it was best I went into healthcare. I did so with much rebellion during my pre-med years but looking back and feeling it in my heart that this is how God wants me to touch other people's lives I feel so privileged to be healing people and allowing God to work through me. Patients' simple "thank you, God bless you" are what keep me going and inspired to be a caring, understanding healer....God bless your good heart always Judy :-)

Judy SheldonWalker October 7, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Colette, God loves us and wants us when it seems that no one else does. I remember that verse and now I want to find it too. :-)

Hugs to you too.

Amanda, I know losing your Benz was devastating but we are so glad to have you still with us!

Annmarie, journals are a great way to reflect back.

Kulasa, your parents sound very wise and supportive. They picked the perfect field for you and helped you. God is using you as an healing angel. Blessings!