Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Natural Remedies

Kava-Kava

K is for Kava. Kava or kava-kava is a crop of the western Pacific and when prepared properly is from the roots solely while some of the products on the market include stems and leaves. Kava is used to induce relaxation while bringing the user better clarity and enhanced feelings of well being. It is used to produce a drink with sedative and anesthetic properties. Some studies have raised a concern about liver toxicity but it is not known whether it is because of the impure product or heavy use of alcohol in connection with the kava-kava.

Researchers in 2006 at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland and the Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire du Cancer in  Luxembourg discovered that kava-kava was effective in inhibiting the growth of cancer cells but did not harm the healthy cells when tested in the treatment of ovarian cancer and leukemia. Due to these findings the kava trade ban was lifted.
It is felt to be a safer anti-depressant than valium and is not physically addictive. Kava has been prescribed or recommended to treat those who suffer from anxiety at a dosage of 200 mgs. three times a say. It is also used in many sleep remedies to aid in better and more restful sleep and has been recommended for those who suffer from menstrual cramps.
With any herbal remedies, one should consult their physician before using them. Many medications may counteract herbal remedies.
sources:
Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements by Michael T. Murray, N.D.

The Complete Guide to Herbal Medicines by Charles W. Fetrow, PharmD and Juan R. Avila, PharmD
The Green Pharmacy by James A. Duke, PhD.
This post is linked to Alphabe-Thursday and Two Questions Thursday. My questions are as follows:

1. If someone you loved was diagnosed with depression or an anxiety disorder would you want them to be prescribed Valium or one of the many other controlled substances or before that try some natural remedies first?
2. Do you think mental health professionals take the time to treat mental illness or simply prescribe medication?

Thanks so much for your visit. Take care, God bless and stay healthy!!

Self Sagacity January 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Wonderful subject for me today...
1) I would say no, and have said no to drugs for anti depressant for my relatives.
2) I do think the doctors are quick to want to refer the person to drugs, which isn't the answer.
I wonder where I can get Kava? It sounds promising, I would love to learn more about it.

SquirrelQueen January 31, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Good info on Kava Judy. I had heard of it but was not aware of it's properties.

I always prefer trying natural remedies first before resorting to prescription drugs. The side effects are considerably less. I do think mental health professionals tend to prescribe drugs first before trying other options.

Tracy January 31, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I find it incredible that slowly slowly medecine is going full circle. plants being used to heal is not new, but sadly as there is no money for the big pharmaceutical companies dont research enough but plough on pushing chemicals into us. At the moment I take an anti depresant, morphine for pain plus 3 other pain killers then i have to take a pill to stop ulcers forming because of the othe above then I take a nother one to stop me getting constipated all good fun , thank you for sharing not sure it is available on prescription from GP God Bless

JDaniel4's Mom January 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM

This sounds like a wonderful alternative to medicines.

Judie January 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM

There was quite a stir about kava several years ago, but I have read nothing about it lately. I am glad you posted this!

Carol L McKenna January 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Very creative and informative post for 'k' ~

Carol of A Creative Harbor ^_^

Rocky Mountain Woman January 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I do think doctors are fast on the draw with antidepressants, but sometimes I believe they are a godsend.

Jim January 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I like your post about Kava, Judy. I had not known about it before. Perhaps it was illegal in Nebraska when I was growing up or I might have.

1. I am not sure that valium works. I was taking it one time much earlier in another life and I couldn't tell any difference. The kava sounds fairly promising but I respect my liver a whole lot. None of my relatives has needed this yet that I know of.

2. Of course mental health professionals should take the time to treat mental illness. I wouldn't stand for a pill pusher for me or for my family.

bluegrassnotes January 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I much prefer herbal remedies. Friends in the mental health professions have been quite upset for a long time about the degree to which treatment has come to be about pushing drugs rather than working to help clients discover the source of their problems and offer tools for change. Didn't know all this about Kava so I'm pleased to have learned this.

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger January 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I was wondering what had happened with Kava--it was there and then not--thank you!

Scudds Harrison February 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM

A very interesting post. I haven't heard about this before and it's good to know. Thank you for sharing.

Scudds

Icy BC February 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

You know my answers to these questions, Judy..I would prefer natural remedy, and yes, many doctors are very fast in writing prescription than find out the root of the problem!

Jenny February 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Kava Kava and I are not too friendly.

I cannot tolerate it for some reason.

It makes me feel like I'm coming out of my skin...but more than one cup of coffee does that, too!

I didn't know all these facts about it, though!

This was quite interesting!

Thanks for sharing and...

A+