Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Apples

Braeburn apples

Forgive me if I bore you a bit with some fascinating facts about apples. Many of my  grandchildren have amazed me with their relish for the tasty treat in eating them down to the stem; core and all. I turned around to help them find the trash to discard the remainder to find they had finished the treat and wanted another. Here are just a few facts about apples:

• There are over 7,500 varieties and different types have different tastes and different benefits, such as the one pictured is helpful to protect our skin from the ravages of UV rays.
  • The apple tree originated in Central Asia.
  • Some types of apples can be stored for up to a year such as the granny and the Fuji.
  • About 69 million tons of apples were grown in 2010 with half of those being grown in China and the second highest coming from the U.S.
  • Apples are known for their high fiber content, aiding in keeping the system regular but they are also beneficial to aid in asthma treatment, cholesterol, hay fever, heart health, liver health and lung cancer.
  • The peel contains 3/4 of the fiber and antioxidants of the entire apple.
1. Why give children candy or cookies when there is wholesome fruit available?

2. Did you know that craving sugary treats is a learned addiction, not one we are born with?

Find photos and descriptions of various apples here

This post linked to Two Questions Thursday. Please join the conversation at Amanda's. Thanks for the visit. Take care, stay healthy and God bless. Your visit is truly appreciated.

Jim March 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Nice, Judy. I love apples and truly believe they help us to keep from having to go to the doctor with ails so offten.

1. Why give children candy or cookies when there is wholesome fruit available?
All their friends like candy better. Chocolate doesn't grow on trees and I haven't seen many chocolate covered apples lately.

I knew that. We kids didn't get sugar when I was growing up and didn't use it in my ice tea. So no addiction for me.

SquirrelQueen March 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Living in a part of WA state that is filled with apple orchards helps me get my fill of my favorite fruit. The Braeburns are one of my favorites and Honeycrisp my other.

When my stepdaughter was little and would spend her summers with us I always had apples around for snacks, never candy.

Yes, an addiction we would be better off without.

Icy BC March 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Fantastic facts about apples, Judy!

I love apples and always have them around. My favorites are Fiji, gala, and braeburns.

Your grandchildren sounds like healthy eater, which is so great!

Colette S March 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I buy apples every time. The kids LOVE them. I make them as side dishes/desserts for their lunches everyday!

I agree. Very healthy!

I keep wondering which one to choose thought and sometimes I get a sample of all.

I love that I don't have to fight with my kids to eat healthy. Well most times :) They still hate broccoli :)

Self Sagacity March 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Judy, My daughter LOVES apples, I can give them to her anytime and she will eat them. She doesn't know about candy too much except the gummy bear vitamins. We have candy jars and dishes in the house, but the daddy is the only one that eats them.
I did not know that, but it now explains my craving for Coke, and ice coffee...before I thought my body just needed sugar...hehe.

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger March 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I didn't know that apples were good for asthma--I am looking for natural ways to deal with asthma and with arthritis

kulasa zen March 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I bought huge apples the other day..to keep the doctor away :) The facts on apple you shared are not to be dismissed. Everyone should have an apple each day to keep diseases away. I am from now on going to store fruits instead of chocolates and other artificial food for the kiddos...oh and yep we weren't born with a sweet tooth :) but I love sweet people like you :D